Teflon tape in the boil!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

NoNothing

Reaction score
I just got my bargain fittings parts on my boil kettle, and I used teflon tape to seal up the threads, makes sense, right?

There is however some teflon tape on many of the threads not sealed by a nut being over the thread. Will this cause issues when boiled? Ive got a good 1/4th inch of teflon tape coming of my main bulkhead before the dip tube.

Im assuming its fine, just want a pat on the back and a go about business as usual.

Retrofit

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I boil teflon tape all the time. No one has ever said, "Juniper, corriander, and.... is that teflon?"

I concede some kind of chemical reaction could be going on that I'm unaware of, but I have not noticed off flavors, and I have never seen teflon tape in any of my beers. Don't know if this helps, but for me it's a non-issue.

ibbones

Reaction score
I boil teflon tape all the time. No one has ever said, "Juniper, corriander, and.... is that teflon?"

I concede some kind of chemical reaction could be going on that I'm unaware of, but I have not noticed off flavors, and I have never seen teflon tape in any of my beers. Don't know if this helps, but for me it's a non-issue.
Same here. I left the little "tail" alone and it's still there.

JOHN51277

Reaction score
I figure if you can cook an egg, fry bacon, and brown sausage in teflon coated pans it can't be too bad on ya!

remilard

Reaction score
Teflon is pretty much inert. You can even eat a fair amount of it if you want without problem.

The only issue is that if you heat it to around 500F it releases a toxic gas (which can kill birds or I guess humans if you had a lot of overheated teflon). This is very unlike to happen in your boil kettle.