Teflon tape and disconnects

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vovo

Reaction score
I am setting up a kegerator, I tefloned the grey threaded cornelius disconnects (gas) with sealant tape but do I need or want to do the threaded liquid disconnects. I did a search but couldn't find any thing specific on the liquid. I would think both?

Thanks

You don't need it on your gas disconnect either. The flare fitting does not seal using the threads. You only need to use tape on tapered (pipe) threads.

You don't need or want teflon on either of the disconnects. They are flare fittings and the sealing happens between the metal and the plastic on the end of the disconnect. If its metal to metal flare fittings they have little rubber gasket things that you can use.

You don't need or want teflon on either of the disconnects. They are flare fittings and the sealing happens between the metal and the plastic on the end of the disconnect. If its metal to metal flare fittings they have little rubber gasket things that you can use.

Well said.

+1 but, it doesn't hurt either.

I could imagine a possibility where it could hamper sealing, but I've never actually seen it.

By the way, you don't need any tape between your regulator and co2 tank either (though there should probably be some type of washer there).

By the way, you don't need any tape between your regulator and co2 tank either (though there should probably be some type of washer there).

+1; There is a plastic disc for there, and teflon is not necessary. Any screw on connection for gas, I use teflon.

The whole purpose of teflon is to reduce friction to allow for more tightening and better seal.

I use teflon tape on just about everything. If I were ever in a situation where I needed a rubber and didn't have one, I'd make a condom out of teflon tape.

I use teflon tape on just about everything. If I were ever in a situation where I needed a rubber and didn't have one, I'd make a condom out of teflon tape.

If you find yourself in that situation make sure you wrap it around your hose in the right direction, else it will come off

:)

Back