Teenagers in house - how to secure kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mychalg9

Reaction score
Normally with beer you can tell if sneaky teens are doing away with them because they disappear from the fridge, but with kegs in a fridge it's not as easy to notice a few missing here or there. We have kids in the house that are fast approaching high school which will inevitably mean a curioisty in alcohol. Other than just lecturing them on the repercussions of drinking, is there a way to keep the suds safe from curious tastebuds? Is there any way to employ a lock or something on a keg fridge? SInce I dont even have a fridge yet I figured I would seek some answers to steer me in the right direction before I go out and buy anything. I may end up with just plain old picnic taps so everything could be contained within the fridge itself. I'm thinking maybe I could bolt on a couple of hasps with a padlock. If anyone has experience with this kind of thing I would love the input.

I have seen locks that go around the taps. Or just disconnect the the beer lines and lock the fridge so they can't be hooked up. And continue teaching the idea of not abusing beer good luck

Drink with them so theyre no longer curious... Better get them used to it before they hit college.

I have 2 teenagers in my house. Both know what beer tastes like, because I let them sample a very small amount when I brew. They also know that if they even go near my beer, they will be grounded for the rest of their lives. I trust my kids to do the right thing, until they give me a reason not to. Nonetheless my Keezer stays locked when they have friends over.
I also get them involved in the brewing process, and let them help brew as much as I can. I'm even going to let them help me with my kegs as soon as they arrive.
My advice would be that if you don't want your teenagers to get into your homebrew, then talk to them about it, and also keep it locked up to remove any doubt. But I would also get them involved in the process (fermenting beer in a carboy is not a pretty sight to a child, mine think its gross). Just my $.02.

Drink with them so theyre no longer curious... Better get them used to it before they hit college.

I think this is exactly the behavior that the teetotaling Alabama legislators were talking about when home brew legislation didn't make it to the Senate vote after being approved in their House. :mug:

Evorgrah said:

There is a lot of bad advice on this site..... this may be the worst.

genes said:

I'm sure the post was meant to be humorous, not to be taken seriously. But it seems that things are being taken literally, again.

illicit attraction is one of the most powerful draws out there. while I don't advocate drinking w your kids (my italian grandmother is rolling in her grave), there is a lot to be said for demystifying alcohol w kids. my son is 10 and knows what beer, wine, etc. tastes like.

Well for starters I would get some sort of lock for when you are out of town or they have friends over.

On the subject of drinking with them my parents always told me if I wanted to drink let them know and I could stay in and have 1 or 2 on the back porch with them. Whether or not you want them to drink they can and will find booze if they want to. I know I did. But I never went super crazy because beer was never forbidden and I had probably been allowed a sip or two since I was 12.

By no means should you provide your kids and their friends with booze but if they are curious better to have them experiment at home with you then out on the town with other kids their age.

Unfortunately, if teens want to get alcohol, they will. If not from your tap, then from your teens friends parents tap. You can talk to them about it until you are blue in the face but at the end of the day, if they want it bad enough, they'll get it.

Now, protecting your stash is the topic at hand. As someone else suggested, disconnect the taps and lock the fridge. That's probably the surest way to loss prevention. Good luck!

One of the hardest things to do is be a parent and not a friend to those you value most. The drinking in the home issue is one best left in the home for each individual set of parents to decide.

Legally.......not a good idea.

aubiecat said:
You would hope so but never know.

True. My stance is to teach kids common sense, and don't try to shelter them from the world. That being said, letting a teenager sample a home brew isn't necessarily a bad thing. The Europeans have been doing it for centuries, and most have turned out alright (I know, I lived in Germany for 3 years). It all boils down to what each parent is comfortable with.

It may seem like overkill, but I've seen people sit their kegs on scales so they can keep track. A local pub started doing this to keep track of the employees "after hours". The manager would record the weights at the end of the night, then the opening manager would compare them the next day.

True. My stance is to teach kids common sense, and don't try to shelter them from the world. That being said, letting a teenager sample a home brew isn't necessarily a bad thing. The Europeans have been doing it for centuries, and most have turned out alright (I know, I lived in Germany for 3 years). It all boils down to what each parent is comfortable with.

And of course (depending on the state), it can be perfectly legal for a parent or guardian to give alcohol to a minor.

Kids in high school can get anything they want. As they become adult, they need to be guided into that role in life. But yea throw a lock on the frige and take the tap with you. you could lock the room the frige is in. But then again, they know how to brew, see what ya did....

TarVolon said:
To me it sounds like it could be reasonable or could be terrible. Depends on the quantity and the age.

To drink, reasonable. To get drunk, terrible.
OP: Put a lock on the fridge.

Don't recall the link offhand, but in a good number it's allowed on private property with parents present. A few only require parental consent and not presence as long as its private property. So depending on where you live, your kids drinking with you is ok, other kids probably not.

Edit: found the link, it's most requiring only consent, some don't require consent at all...

Kids in high school can get anything they want. As they become adult, they need to be guided into that role in life. But yea throw a lock on the frige and take the tap with you. you could lock the room the frige is in. But then again, they know how to brew, see what ya did....

Haha, yea. Teenagers are smart about things they want. They also rebel the stricter you are (if they have the opportunity to) about certain things. If you lock it and tell them NO NO NO OFF LIMITS OR YOU'RE GROUNDED FOREVER.... they're going to get to it. Sure you may say fine, they're grounded forever, but then that just creates a war more than likely, or they bottle it up for the time being... Now, there's nothing wrong with locking it to prevent temptation, especially with friends over, but getting all crazy about sharing it with them is ridiculous. Obviously don't get the kids drunk, or even buzzed. If they're curious, let them have a small sample from time to time. No more curiosity. More than likely they will respect you more and instead of finding a way to steal the beer, they will ask.

Now, as for locks, many sites have faucet locks that are stupid expensive. If you're clever you could maybe built a "rack" than basically locks them all. I thought about that. I guess if you wanted to go cheap, you could disconnect the Beer Out QD's, and lock the keggerator from opening, then unlock, attatch the line/s you want, then detach before you lock it up again.

I looked it up and found an article that says,
"Although the minimum drinking age is 21 in all 50 states, 31 states allow parents, guardians or spouses to furnish alcohol to minors. In seven of the 31 states, that's permissible only in a private residence."
It didn't tell which ones but I'd like to know who they are.

Wisconsin allows it, i believe even in restaurants if the parent order the alcohol.

After living in Germany and seeing parents drink with their 14 year old kids and getting drunk with 15 or 16 year old kids (the legal drinking age is 16 for beer and 18 for hard alcohol). They seem to go through the same experiences as American kids but in more controlled environments, dunk in their own house vs. in a car/empty house/hotel/etc.

I wish the drinking age was lower, youth were more responsible with drinking, and parents better oriented their children with alcohol. Unfortunately that's not the case, maybe it has something to do with the cultural differences.

Back on topic though, you can lockup your beer but if they want alcohol they will get it. In my high school days, kids would just sit in the parking lot of a grocery store and ask some random guy to buy them beer. Worked every time for them.

Better to teach them about it than make it that "forbidden fruit".

What states allow any adult to give alcohol to a minor?

Oregon.

ORS 471.410(2): No one other than the persons parent or guardian may sell, give or otherwise make available any alcoholic liquor to a person under the age of 21 years. A parent or guardian may give or otherwise make alcoholic liquor available to a person under the age of 21 years only if the person is in a private residence and is accompanied by the parent or guardian.

Illinois allows you to serve alcohol to your kids in your home.

My elder son has no interest in alcohol whatsoever. My younger son likes to sample my home brews. He doesn't really like any of them, but he still likes to try a few sips of each of them.

I think this is exactly the behavior that the teetotaling Alabama legislators were talking about when home brew legislation didn't make it to the Senate vote after being approved in their House. :mug:

Ohh somebody is a little butt hurt about last week. Interesting, there is a hbs in montgomery, mr beer kits at publix in dothan, but a felony if you use them. On topic, educate. Our hb club leader said "our kids sampled liquor when we drank at home and do you know what they became in college? DDs" my parents locked the alcohol up and never really drank in in front of me. I didnt drink much in hs but spent my first year in college at the bars, almost kicked out.

Also.there are faucet lockes to keep the neighborhood riff raff out.

I hate the "they do it in Europe and turn out fine" example. France is going through a serious teenage drinking epidemic for this same reason. The worst part is, even "reasonable" parents are often caught between their kids and grandparents who have the same ideas many posters on this site.

Some examples of reality:

If the USA was part of the EU...it would have one of the lowest percentage of teenage drinkers at 39%. In contrast, the UK and Denmark which are at about 80%.

The UK is experiencing one of the worst problems in its history with teenage binge drinking

Europe as a continent has the highest average consumption of alchohol. 3 gallons per person compared to the US 2 gallons

A greater percentage of teenagers in European countries reported being intoxicated BEFORE the age of 13

Only 3 countries, when polled, had teens report a smaller percentage of drinking to get intoxicated in the last 30 days than the US.

Thats NOT RESPONSIBLE drinking. Just google "european drinking problems" and the reality, not the myth is more clear. The legality in Europe just leads to less kids in trouble. Whether you think it is good or bad is up to you but I hate the "europeans are fine" arguement. Teach kids to be responsible and healthy and hope for the best.

Wow I wasn't expecting to see this many responses this morning! I will certainly look into those faucet locks, and it sounds like otherwise I may need to look into a way to lock the fridge. In regards to the kids' attitudes towards beer, it's hard to say where they will be at once they hit 15+ (which is about when I started), but right now the boy (the kids actually belong to my live-in fiance) is 10 and he likes to try a sip of whatever beer I am drinking from time to time. He pretty much dislikes everything I have, except he loves sours and always asks me when I am going to get more. He even asked if I could brew a sour but I am not that good yet so I told him it would have to wait. The girl is 13 now and shows no interest in alcohol whatsoever. Personally I think introducing kids to alcohol early on, in a responsible way is the approach I would want to take. But that doesnt mean they wont be influenced by friends to raid the liquor cabinet/beer fridge.

Im enjoying reading the responses so far so keep 'em coming, and "thank you" for the people that have responded already

genes said:

No no, this is what you have to do. People need to teach their kids that alcoholic drinks like wine / beer can be drank in a sophisticated and responsible manor. If you don't teach them this then they will learn from peers that beer is something that you pound just to get wasted.

I'm of the opinion that if a kid helps brew a beer, they can have a glass or two while supervised. Though I wouldn't say it was alright to give them free reign to drink as much as they want. If you drink in a responsible manner, they'll learn it in a responsible manner and it wont be such a novelty or "sticking it to the man."

It's all about education really. If you demystify the idea of a forbidden delight, while educating on what binge drinking, DUI, and hard partying can lead to, you'll start them off a good bit better than parents who simply refuse to even have the conversation.

I would also say that involving them in the process is a wonderful way to pass on the art and magic behind creating a good beer, and possibly giving them a respect for alcoholic beverages they wouldn't otherwise have at that age. And sharing a beer with them for tasting notes isn't going to end the world or anything.

The reality is most young people have moved past beer to flavored malt beverages and hard alcohol, I wouldn't worry too much about your beer reserves getting busted into unless they get desperate. And it's not like you're going to have a bud light clone on tap either; they might test a heavy dark beer, but I doubt they're going to drink too much of it without getting suuuuuper sick. I'd probably get some tap locks or something anyway, if anything just to keep random house guests out of it.

If you only lock the taps but not the fridge then you better make sure you hide your cobra taps too. Otherwise they'll just disconnect your taps, pop on the picnic taps and help themselves.

There are a lot of good ideas posted in this thread and others of how to secure your brews, such as faucet locks (with picnic taps hidden or kegerator locked), and you can also just lock the kegerator and disconnect the lines.
But when I see people griping about "drinking problems" in the same breath they talk about total volumes... I just sigh to myself.
To look at the volume ALONE and say it's problem drinking is a puritanical view.
Drunk driving, crimes while intoxicated, and being too drunk to function in your career or school... those are all problems. Drinking until your liver is pickled, that's a problem.

Knocking back a six pack every single night and getting up again to go to work is not a problem, and I don't really have a problem, conceptually, with the idea that a 16 year old is capable of the same thing. Drinking ages are guidelines, and seldom based on any actual evidence, just anecdotes and "common sense" (which obviously differs person to person, as show in this thread.)

Why is it in the USA that we can vote, marry, join the military (consentually or by draft) and do everything else that adults are expected to do, but not have a drink? It's an absurdity- and once you recognize that, you really have to question whether or not even 18 is such a magic number.

It's really a matter of maturity- 18/21 is intended to be a marker that nearly everyone is mature enough to make those decisions, but we still see college students behaving like spoiled kids, and teens who work to support their families as responsible adults.

A personal anecdote:
When I was around 5 years old, I expressed interest in the beer in my dad's cup- he let me have a sip, I hated it, and we moved on. Around 8 years old, I'd get a couple of ounces of wine with holiday dinners.
When I was 12, my dad pulled me aside with the greatest piece of parenting I've ever recieved:
"Son, I know that one of these days you're going to be tempted to drink. That's ok, there is no shame in it. But please, be careful. When you want a drink, there is beer in the fridge. Drink at home, with your family, where you'll be safe.
You just have two rules, one- I'm not buying beer for your friends. Their parents get to make that choice. Two, DON'T TAKE THE LAST ONE." :D

When I was 17, I ended up dropping out of high school. If you look at the stats, you might then imagine that I must have been one of those delinquents that started drinking early and got in trouble, right?
Wrong.
My family suffered a house fire, and my parents were already underemployed (my dad having suffered career setbacks and my mom returning to work after years away raising her kids). I was a senior in high school, and already working part time at the same company as my father, and with the financial troubles we had, I made a very hard choice, and left school so that I was allowed to work full time (students with a work permit don't have this option, a drop-out does)
I didn't just work 40 hours a week, either, I worked as much as they'd let me. Some weeks that was close to 60 hours, and for a long while, I worked 7 days a week, including holidays.

And on payday, when my dad and I drove home from work, we stopped at our neighborhood liquor store, and he'd buy me whatever I wanted (provided I had the money for my share), because at 17, I was a wage-earning adult.

I drink, and like much of my extended family and Irish ancestry, I sometimes drink to excess, but most of the time, what would be excessive for the average, is barely a light buzz for me, and the majority of my consumption has always happened at home- first with my parents, now in my own home.

I won't pretend what was right for me is right for all, but there are certainly more viewpoints to be had, and exposure at an early age doesn't automatically mean alcoholism. If anything, the complete abstinence of drink (and everything else) probably explains the college (and now high school) problems of alcoholism and unprotected sex (leading to spikes and STD's)

Is there anyone that can really argue that abstinence and prohibition really works?

If you only lock the taps but not the fridge then you better make sure you hide your cobra taps too. Otherwise they'll just disconnect your taps, pop on the picnic taps and help themselves.

Or just cut off the CO2, depressurize a keg, pop the lid and ladle all they want out and you are none the wiser. Doing the whole lock n' key thing isn't the best idea. Establishing respect for your hobby and your goods is key. They also need to understand that when they get older, homebrewing parents may be the best thing ever for them -- as long as it is never abused.

Google kegdroid. I think that's the name if it. Then add tasers to the droids arm if they do not have valid access. Protect your delicious beer and have a laugh at the same time!

Back