Techniques for double mash in a Braumeister

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike_McBrew

Reaction score
Hello!

I will be brewing a high OG beer in a Braumeister. It needs 8Kg of grain and the BM can only handle about 6Kg so I want to double mash.

The mash schedule is:
52 C (126 F) - 10 mins - Gum breakdown (unmalted adjuncts) / produce free nitrogen
69 C (156 F) - 70 mins - Starch conversion for a sweet beer
78 C (172 F) - 5 mins - Mash Out

When the first 4Kg come out, I will then sparge so whether I do the mash out step or not the wort will be well over 70 degrees. The wort volume will also be pretty high.

Adding another 4Kg of grain will cool things down but probably not to 52 C - would you wait for it to cool?

The extra 4kg of grain will absorb some water but after the second sparge there's going to be a lot of wort to boil - do you adapt your sparge volumes accordingly or just boil for longer to get the volume down to target (or something else)?

Thanks,
Mike

I recently did a double mash of 2x 4.5kg.

1st mash was...
40C - 20min
62C - 70min

2nd mash....
40C - 20min
62C - 70min
70C - 20min
77C - 5min

If I remember correctly I started the 2nd mash a little higher than planned (E.g., 44C), but I didn't see anything record in my notes.

I started with a bit less water than normal (22L rather than 25L). I rinsed each mash with 4L of water at the temperature of the mash (62C for 1st mash and 77C for 2nd)

My OG was 1.082

Last edited:
Thanks.
What was the target O.G. for a single mash?
Did the beer turn out as expected?

M

Is this question for me?

My target was roughly what I achieved. I set the efficiency in BeerSmith to 60% as I've been having problems with poor efficiency and didn't expect double mash to do well in efficiency. In addition to double mashing this was first time making stout/porter and first time using vanilla and cacao. This was mostly an experiment and the beer turned out way better than expected; turned out great!

Correction: 2nd mash started at 50C

Here is my write-up: https://theschmidts.wordpress.com/2018/03/18/no-10-open-the-porter/

Back