TC tee inner diameter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

swanwick

Reaction score
I am going to be connecting from a vessel's TC port to a TC tee and then from the other two sides of the Tee to TC's with 5/8" barbs for 1/2" hosing.

Does it matter what the ID (inner diameter) on the TC tee is as long as it is at least 5/8" (or probably 3/4" since the ID of the barb is probably 3/4"). It seems that most for sale have >5/8" ID.

I know it is strange not to have a ball valve in the equation, but one is the Herms Input and the other is the HLT input (above liquid level). They are both connected to a pump output that has a ball valve. Long story, but I am trying to automate and I only have so many outputs from the controller (uniflex) I can use to control automated valves so I have to conserve.
  • TC Tee 1 (HERMS input)......side 1 is mash re-circ and side 2 is sparge
  • TC Tee 2 (HLT input)......side 1 is from the filter after garden hose and side 2 is HLT re-circ
Note: for sparging I could go straight to Mash Tun rather than through HERMS to get to Mash Tun, but this way, it saves having to clean out the HERMS coil after brewing.

OK, sorry that went a little off the rails. Even if you are not 3 vessel HERMS, the first two paragraphs of the post are still hopefully answerable.....I was just trying to give context. Happy to share my valve/hose diagrams for anyone that is interested.

Reaction score
I’d say it wouldn’t matter. Any T I have seen was larger inner diameter than 5/8 or even 3/4 for that matter. But I am referring to 1.5” TC Tee. If you’re talking a smaller diameter TC T than disregard my post.

OP
OP
swanwick

swanwick

Reaction score
I’d say it wouldn’t matter. Any T I have seen was larger inner diameter than 5/8 or even 3/4 for that matter. But I am referring to 1.5” TC Tee. If you’re talking a smaller diameter TC T than disregard my post.
All that specificity that I was trying to provide and I forgot the most important spec! :( Yes, talking about 1.5" TC connections. Thx.