tattoos & tipping tattoo artists

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stated in the other tip thread that 20% is too much for the average waiter/ress.

But that's because waiting tables is not hard. Its not rocket science, and it doesn't really require talent. I'm not saying any idiot can wait tables and do it well, but its not that amazing.

Tattooing, however IS a talent, and does require experience and specific skills to be good at it. I do tip my tattoo artists.

SWMBO's an artist.

There are three kinds of shops: 1) Artist pays a fixed monthly rent to the shop, 2) Artist pays a percentage of the tattoo to the shop, 3) Artist is an employee of the shop and is paid hourly by the shop like they worked anywhere else.

There are not many of #3, but they are starting to gain numbers because of shop/artist liability reasons and IRS employee vs. contractor tax implications.

The bottom line, regardless of what kind of shop it is, it is a physically demanding job. If its a custom piece, they probably didn't charge you for the drawing time. Show some appreciation and tip your artist. If you don't, they may not want to tattoo you again and will push you off to another artist lower in the pecking order. Or maybe next time, your session might mysteriously cost you and extra $50.

But for certain, when they go home that night, they will complain to their spouse about what a cheap bastard you were. Save an innocent spouse some grief.

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure that my tip was spent on hookers and blow that evening.

Just kidding.

I still feel that the person is putting something that is irreversible on your skin and if they did a good job, they should be rewarded for it.

So you don't tip at restaurants either?
I don't tip at restaurants...I give a "gratuity"...something of my own free will for good service. Bad and mediocre service gets $0.01...but that has to be well deserved.

As I've always known it, "TIP" is an old English acronym meaning "To Insure Promptness" This was something the waitress did when a "rich" person entered the establishment...they would wait and serve them first hoping they would get a "tip". When they came in next time...they were waited on and served their food (hot) first.

I lived in Europe for 9 years. Over there employers pay their employees salaries. Somehow in the US this got all twisted so that now establishments expect, and even DEMAND (you've seen: 18% gratuity added to bill for 8 or more persons...CRAP on your checks), customers to pay their employees salaries. A POX ON THEM ALL!!! Employers that is...:D

So, technically, the ONLY person who actually ever gets a TIP these days are the people who get you a table because you slipped them something...everything else is a gratuity...

Getting back to the tattoo artist...if he/she mispells/misshapens a tat that can't be corrected is the tat free or do they give you a refund? And would you tip them then?

...when they go home that night, they will complain to their spouse about what a cheap bastard you were...
How is not tipping someone being cheap? If you ask how much for the service...that's it...bottom line.

Do you get a tip everytime you do your job? I know I don't. A "thank you" from a soldier is all that drives me to do better.

How many people do you know that works for tips? I remember once in an Olive Garden a waitress was complaining to other customers about how some people don't tip. She then told us the days specials which included "Chicken Scampi"...to which I asked her how many shrimp come with the chicken...and she said "none, it's chicken scampi". I figured for an "Italian" restaurant they should at least know SOME Italian and know that "scampi" is "shrimp" in Italian...DOH!!! "Scampi" does not mean garlic and butter sauce.

After the other people left I talked to the young woman and explained that one of the reasons she may not get good tips is because she complains to customers about other customers. As customers we only want good food and good service. If we don't get both we don't tend to tip...then I went into the gratuity vs tipping spiel...then changed tables...:D

The artist doesn't necessarily charge you for everything. Many artist don't charge for drawing time.

If all you want is a cheep ass tattoo. Go find a cheap ass scratcher working out of his bathroom. If you want quality, something that someone put some real effort into making look good on you body for the rest of your life, show some appreciation.

And if you don't want to tip money, I've tipped with homebrew, rum, and scotch.

the tip issue that i though was if i;m paying for a tattoo & the artist pays a booth rental & getting 100% of tattoo. I dont feel the need for a tip. I orginally started this thread because i get tattoo'd by the owner of the establishment. why should i tip them.

Do you want to get tattooed by them again? Unlike the waiter/waitress example, quality tattoo artists can pick and choose who they do and do not tattoo. Most shop owners can fill their books 8 hours a day 7 days a week with repeat clients.

I go back to my original statement:

If you don't tip, if they choose to tattoo you again, you may get charged more. If they don't want to tattoo you again, they will kick you down the pecking order to a lesser artist and work on a client who does tip instead

I my opinion that just bad customer service. I just dont see tattoo artist as person who give tips. you dont give your finish carpenter, painter etc etc tips. I will tip a waitress that is great because thats how she makes her money.

That's the thing about good artists. They have a very loyal client base and so they don't need to have great customer service. From their standpoint, why tattoo someone who doesn't tip when they can tattoo someone who does.

I know one shop owner here who only opens his appointment book 4 times a year. People who want to get tattooed by him will line up outside his shop like they were buying tickets to a rock concert. People that he knows won't tip conveniently get rescheduled out of his book.

I know another shop owner. Most despised owner in town amongst artists outside his shop. Smokes more pot than Tommy Chong. Plus he does a little coke and meth on the side. But he's a good artist so his clients put up with him. Any new client who doesn't tip him gets kicked down to another artist the next time they come in.

The bottom line is the artists who can afford not to be tipped are the artists who will put up with it the least, because they can easily replace your business with someone else's. Only the artists who are still building their reputation and client base or happen to be struggling to get by at the moment are the ones who will put up with not being tipped.

They aren't carpenters, painters, etc. They are tattoo artists. People who want their service seek them out. If enough people are seeking them out, they can afford to be picky and choosey as to who they serve. It may not make sense to you, but that is how it is.

I tipped 20 bucks when I got mine (it cost 170). I did it simply because the lady who did it was friendly and did a good job. It is a common thing to do from what other people have told me and you should tip, but I doubt they'll spit on you if you don't.

no i dont agree with that artist bull ****. most people that come in to get tattos just pick flash off the wall & most tattoo shops hire anyone who can tattoo whether they are good or bad.

Plus i was told that anyone who performs a service should get tipped. well i should be tipped from my real estate clients, my computer clients. PLus if an "artist" is such a prick he doesnt want my money. I go find someone else. there alway other tattooist out there. PLUS if an artist remebers me cause i didnt tip them & i got a tatoo a year ago that says they arent that busy/

no i dont agree with that artist bull ****. most people that come in to get tattos just pick flash off the wall & most tattoo shops hire anyone who can tattoo whether they are good or bad.

wow, two very broad, mis-informed statements.

Let me guess...you don't even have a tattoo?
:cross:

I don't think tatto artists expect tips...for what it's worth...your tat is their advertising...if it's not good why would you tip them...I know they should expect that you're going to tell other people to not use them. ;)

I'm really glad I just found this thread. I got my first tattoo last night and tipping my artist didn't even occur to me until this morning. I was thinking about going back to tip her, but that might be a bit weird. $200 for a four hour job, although she thought it would only take 2.5-3 originally. She did not create the art, and the only modification was reducing the number of scales, which I am now SO grateful for because the scales hurt! She was great and I love the work. As for her job, we did talk about it, she gets $10/hr, 40 hrs/week whether she's tattooing or not, plus commission for the tatts she does. That's not so bad for a 24 year old. Would you tip her?
Tatt-CU.jpg

I'm really glad I just found this thread. I got my first tattoo last night and tipping my artist didn't even occur to me until this morning. I was thinking about going back to tip her, but that might be a bit weird. $200 for a four hour job, although she thought it would only take 2.5-3 originally. She did not create the art, and the only modification was reducing the number of scales, which I am now SO grateful for because the scales hurt! She was great and I love the work. As for her job, we did talk about it, she gets $10/hr, 40 hrs/week whether she's tattooing or not, plus commission for the tatts she does. That's not so bad for a 24 year old. Would you tip her?
Tatt-CU.jpg

Nice ink! While I probably would have tipped, I am admittedly unsure of the right thing to do in that context. Considering you were pretty much going with flash and she was paid hourly/commissions I think you are probably okee, but if you go in for a touch up (most places will touch up for free) i would Definitely tip then.

if you go in for a touch up (most places will touch up for free) i would Definitely tip then.

That's what I was thinking. I already found a spot that will need it. The dragon's belly, about four clicks from it's mouth, there's no separation between the belly and the scales as there is the rest of the way around.

tipping wait staff is totally necessary. i was a server for 8 years before getting a job in liq. distro. They need your tips and they are most likely working really hard for it. as for tattoos i am totally covered in them. i always tipped after getting one. Eventually my artist opened up his own one man shop and he told me that it wasn't necessary to continue tipping him anymore but i could if i liked.

Back