Tasty and aromatic...to bland and no aroma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flic

Reaction score
I'm having a strange issue I hope someone could help with. I did my 7th all-grain about 6 weeks ago (Dude's Lake Walk Pale Ale). I bottled these a month ago but tried one at 2 weeks as I always do. It was by far my best brew yet. Wonderful hop aroma (dry-hopped) and fantastic flavor with that nice toasted grain flavor (those that have brewed LWPA know what I'm talking about!). I've had about 6-7 of them since then and all of them consistently great. Then tonight comes along and I opened one up and poured it into my pint glass. I noticed no aroma at all. I tasted and I can't really describe it but it's just flavorless (carbonated OK). Almost like one of my first all-extract brews! Tried another bottle and it was the same. The thing that is really weird is that I brewed a Rye Pale Ale prior to this one and the same thing happened!! First couple weeks it was good and then bam...flavor and aroma are gone!!! In fact this flavorless taste/mouthfeel is similar in both of them!! I have not tried any more of the Rye PA's since I figured I would let them age longer. Tonight really started to baffle me but I do not have any more in the fridge as I usually put 3-4 in at a time. I use star-san to sanitize and the bottles are always super-clean. I did not sanitize the caps on the past few brews. I'm not sure if this could be infection as it's drinkable....just not good!! I just can't get over it as the first few were so wonderful. Appreciate any thoughts on this!!!

Definitely not an infection... that adds nasty flavors and aromas, doesn't take tasty ones away.

Over time, bottle conditioning can mellow out hop flavor and aroma, as well as maltiness. But completely wiping them out? Very strange. What kind of yeast did you use?

Definitely not an infection... that adds nasty flavors and aromas, doesn't take tasty ones away.

Over time, bottle conditioning can mellow out hop flavor and aroma, as well as maltiness. But completely wiping them out? Very strange. What kind of yeast did you use?

I used SA-05 on the LW pale ale and the Rye pale ale was Wyeast 1272 (American Ale). I tend to agree on it not being an infection. I wish I could describe it better but it's almost like when you drink an ale at a very very cold temperature and you lose a lot of the flavor....except this doesn't go away as it warms....:confused:

acetobacter will take away flavor, as those little suckers will eat everything, including the alcohol.

I don't think that's what your problem is, tho, and you would probably see the infection.

how cold are you serving the beer? if its ice cold you are killing aroma, which will kill flavor too.

my beer fridge is 43F, not close to 32F like a typical food fridge.

how cold are you serving the beer? if its ice cold you are killing aroma, which will kill flavor too.

my beer fridge is 43F, not close to 32F like a typical food fridge.

My fridge is low 40's as yours is. I usually let the beer sit for 5-10 minutes before pouring as well. I had two more tonight trying to decipher the taste a bit more. It seems the hops have just vanished. The beer tastes sweeter as well. How much change occurs in the bottles during the first month or two?? I know I have heard of the beer going through phases in the bottle but man...this is crazy!! It really tastes like a completely different beer from the beers I had last week!!

And speaking of cold, might you be coming down with one? That'll take away aroma and flavor. :)

Actually, I had just gotten over a cold when I first tried it two weeks ago.....I wish that was the problem!!

Back