Tasting my first brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteOz77

Reaction score
OK, so this is the American pale Ale that I started 10 days ago, and bottled/ kegged (some of each) 3 days ago.

Not being a very patient man, I decided to shill a couple bottles and try it.

I LIKE IT! It's interesting... wasn't very nice when very cold, but once it warmed up a bit, it starts off smooth, goes sort of caramel flavoured, then finished off with a bit of a sharp Hop bitterness, that I certain will dull with age.

Definitely going to let the corny sit for a few weeks before I tap it.

I am SO CHUFFED that my first brew (or from the first batch anyway) is drinkable!

YAY ME!!! :ban:

Now your hooked!!! Try to be patient. Don't rush your beer! Brew more batches and let them age properly. Most of all Have Fun!!!:mug:

Prepared to be amazed at how much your brew changes in taste week to week. Be sure to take note of this with your brew notes so you know when the optimum time to drink the brew is.

Oh and congrats on your first brew.

Congrats. :) I've found myself developing a taste for flat beer as I've been testing my brews through all stages...;)

Nice part about five-gallon batches: You can test a bottle a week and you won't run out anytime soon. *grin*

Ten days is pretty early to bottle a beer. I'd wait three weeks...

I have heard of people drinking homebrew made two years prior. The longest I have made it to date is 6-7 months.

Silviakitty said:
and you won't run out anytime soon. *grin*
I wish I could say that.
My suggestion, go right now, get 2 more fermenters and 2 more batches and make them, tonight! And then 2 more tomorrow. And once you have about 20 gallons, then maybe slow down a little bit... No, actually you'd probably better do more. If you're anything like me, you'll be wishing in a month you'd had done more batches. Especially since you're "not a patient man":rockin:

I made the ginger mead from Joy of Homebrewing 12 - 13 years ago and my brother drank the last bottle a month ago. They said it was pretty good too, but we are talking about wine strength beverage. A barley wine can easily last years though...

Welcome to the party! With patience, your beers will improve even more. However, mine rarely last more than a few months after I start cracking them.

Back