Tasting Homebrew Sour Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilbova3

Reaction score
Looking for some advice/help.

I brewed a sour beer 5 months ago and haven't checked on it yet or tasted it. I wanted to crack that bad boy open and give it a taste and see how it is. I've never brewed a sour before and have read up and heard that there will be this white film on top of the beer due to the brett/lacto. If I want to take a sample do I push aside the white stuff and do my best to get only beer? Do I scrape off all of the white stuff and throw it away and then taste it?

Thanks.

Looking for some advice/help.

I brewed a sour beer 5 months ago and haven't checked on it yet or tasted it. I wanted to crack that bad boy open and give it a taste and see how it is. I've never brewed a sour before and have read up and heard that there will be this white film on top of the beer due to the brett/lacto. If I want to take a sample do I push aside the white stuff and do my best to get only beer? Do I scrape off all of the white stuff and throw it away and then taste it?

Thanks.

The "white stuff" is a pellicle which is a protective layer the bugs have built for themselves. To taste, I would just stab your turkey baster or what-have-you through the layer and draw your sample. Do know that the "sour" flavor may not be there yet with only a 5 month brew. Be patient and you will be rewarded. What kind of sour did you make and with what yeast?

Don't remove the pellicle, just sample through it as Hippie said. It may taste decent, it may taste awful. Don't let the latter discourage you as it will certainly change over time.

If you are using the same beer thief for regular beers, you will want to be super careful to make sure it is fully sanitized. I have 2 so that I don't mix them up.

Back