Tastiest thing you've ever brewed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugleBrew

Reaction score
And post the recipe.

Mine was a real simple extract pale ale. The first beer I created on my own. I've since moved on to AG, but this is still my favorite so far.

7 lbs lme
.5 lbs crystal 10L

1 oz cascade (60)
.5 oz cascade (30)
.75 cascade (15)
.75 cascade (5)
safale us05

Stick it in a carboy for 3 weeks, bottle for at least three weeks. Simple and delicious.

Mine is the English Mild I am drinking right now. It is the 3rd time brewing it, each with a tweak to try to improve the flavors.

I will Post the recipe here when I home.

The most recent IPA I brewed would have to win, I think. Although I have a dubbel in bottles that might trump it.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 8.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.074 SG
Estimated Color: 6.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 74 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item
15.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)
0.25 lb Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)
0.5 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM)
0.25 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)

0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00%] (90 min) (FWH)
0.50 oz Simcoe [12.00%] (90 min) (First Wort Hop)
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00%] (60 min)
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00%] (10 min)
0.50 oz Simcoe [12.00%] (10 min)
0.75 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (5 min)
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (5 min)
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (0 min)
0.25 oz Simcoe [12.00%] (Dry Hop 3 days)
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (Dry Hop 3 days)
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (Dry Hop 3 days)
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00%] (Dry Hop 3 days)

My god, that looks like an expensive beast. How much did that run you?

well, if you note the hops are all in 2 ounce portions or less, and I buy 2 ounces at a time. 5.50 per 2 ounces, minus a 20% discount (I'm very lucky) and with the dry yeast I used, it came out to about 34 dollars. 2 row is ridiculously cheap and there's not much else in it other than hops.

I have yet to taste the latest incarnation of my pale ale, and I have a Dead Guy clone fermenting at the moment; but I'd have to say the best thing I've brewed so far is Orfy's Mild Mannered Ale recipe.

well, if you note the hops are all in 2 ounce portions or less, and I buy 2 ounces at a time. 5.50 per 2 ounces, minus a 20% discount (I'm very lucky) and with the dry yeast I used, it came out to about 34 dollars. 2 row is ridiculously cheap and there's not much else in it other than hops.

Where do you get your Simcoe from? I have been looking for it but can't find a place that has it for a reasonable price.

If this just a pathetic attempt to get us to for over our prized recipes? :D

Actually it's a 3- way tie...and the winner depends on my mood. My winners are (in no particular order)

Yooper's dead guy clone
My simple house amber (an almost dead on clone of bell's amber)
Biermuncher's centennial blond.

I've done probably 3 batches of each this year alone. And my favorite of those really depends on my mood. Since the end of summer it's been the centennial blond, but I have another batch o dead guy coming online hopefully this week!(I can't wait.)

I'm do for another batch of both the Amber and Cent. Blond.

May have to say the 888. My buddy's SWMBO dubbed it, "the best beer she's ever had". I'm proud to have anyone say that about one of mine.

I'd say the best ever was the Pliny Clone that Dude posted a couple of years ago. That was my all-time best beer.

My best "regular" beer is the DFH clone. That's really my favorite and I make it several times a year.

My local homebrew store. They're also a production brewery, so they have hookups.

Gotta love Homebrew Mart!! I look forward to visiting my daughter and spending an hour or so sampling some Ballast Point brews before buying some hops to bring back to Texas. They were my source for Centennial when no one else had any and they were not gouging folks either.

Gotta love Homebrew Mart!! I look forward to visiting my daughter and spending an hour or so sampling some Ballast Point brews before buying some hops to bring back to Texas. They were my source for Centennial when no one else had any and they were not gouging folks either.

Heck yeah! They're very reasonable. Their stock is really low right now (Christmas margins are all pushed towards kits, so I understand) but when they get everything back in I have a 40% off coupon for there and I will level the place.

Best ever? That's a tough one. So many have come and gone that I can't remember them all. :drunk:

Of what I've brewed this year, I'd have to say that the BDSA is my favorite but Weizenbock, BGSA, Mild, Belgian Pale Ale and Brown Porter are all very close behind.

I'm only 4 brews in now.... but, Ed's Haus APA is the best so far I've brewed...

Ed's Stone Clone might take the top spot....When it's finished. It's allready pretty good green.

My favorite depends on mood. Mind you I've made less than 10 batches in my ALMOST 1 year career.
Favorite was either:
1) my first batch ever which was a Brewers Best Bold Series American Pale ale dry hopped with an ounce of cascade.
2) Jamil's Chocolate Hazelnut Porter I have in bottles now.

Both are very good, but different moods. The 1st batch is of course long gone, but was considered a favorite.

Bent Rod Rye - This a session beer based on Bear Republic's Hop Rod Rye. The recipe is in my list. It's more bitter than a 4% beer would be normally, but the rye helps balance it.

I'm only 8 brews into it, but I'd say my favorites are my Monkberry Moon Delight Tripel and In The Details strong golden. Both very similar with different hoppings and different yeasts.

HCL = Honey Coriander Lager

Added 2 coriander seeds per bottle.

really want to do that one again, but lost the recipe in one of my moves. might need to work up another recipe for this one, maybe a partial mash. will post when I get a recipe together, and give it a try.

Northern Brewer's AG witbier is my best beer so far, but I have a big 8% american brown ale about to be kegged that might kick the wit's butt.

The best beers I've brewed were a jubeale-type winter warmer, brewed with pacman yeast, and a terminal gravity IPA clone. The latter led to my obsession with British noble hops.

And post the recipe.

Mine was a real simple extract pale ale. The first beer I created on my own. I've since moved on to AG, but this is still my favorite so far.

7 lbs lme
.5 lbs crystal 10L

1 oz cascade (60)
.5 oz cascade (30)
.75 cascade (15)
.75 cascade (5)
safale us05

Stick it in a carboy for 3 weeks, bottle for at least three weeks. Simple and delicious.
Very similar to one of my first brews. 2 oz Cascade instead of 3 but otherwise identical.

Northern Brewer's AG witbier is my best beer so far, but I have a big 8% american brown ale about to be kegged that might kick the wit's butt.

I am drinking a Wit at the moment ( I mean it is sitting in my glass as I type) that I really consider one of my best ever. Simple but delicious.

My best, and so far favorite, is the one I'm doing a repeat of right now. This is the first time I have ever repeated a brew so you know I think it's good. I like it, plus it has gotten more "man, this is good!" comments than any beer I've ever done.

It is a recipe I got from my LHBS called Snowy Mountain APA

6.6 # Munton's Light extract
8 oz carapils
8 oz crystal 20
1 oz Perle 60 mins
1 oz Cascade 10 mins
Irish Moss 20 mins
Us-05 Yeast

Steep grains at 150-170 for 30 mins in 1.5 gallons of water
Discard grains
Bring to boil, add extract and Perle
After 60 minutes add to 3 gallons cold water, top off to 5 gallons
Dry hop when racking to secondary with 1 oz Cascade.
OG 1.050-1.054
FG 1.010-1.014

This is a beautiful red beer with citrus undertones. Very drinkable!

I'd say the best ever was the Pliny Clone that Dude posted a couple of years ago. That was my all-time best beer.

oh you don't kid - you sent me a bottle of that last winter for the beer swap, it was absolutely excellent

to this day I remember that as the best tasting beer I've ever had period - homebrew or not

no exaggeration - that beer was off the chain

Good grief, looking at the long recipe on the first page we need to start a "You might be a Hop Head thread."

If you spend more on hops than the rest of your ingredients combined, you might be a hop head.

If the only people who can finish one of your beers are also home brewers, you might be a hop head.

If others have used one bottle of your home brew in their own recipe to hop a five gallon batch, you might be a hop head.

Back