tastes like some one poured dirt in my Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firstnten

Reaction score
I just bottles 5 gallons of cider 5 lb's honey, I left a cinnamon stick on the secondary for about a year. Big mistake, it's drinkable but tastes kinda musty can't really describe it other than a bad off taste. Anyone else have a situation similar?
:(

I just bottles 5 gallons of cider 5 lb's honey, I left a cinnamon stick on the secondary for about a year. Big mistake, it's drinkable but tastes kinda musty can't really describe it other than a bad off taste. Anyone else have a situation similar?

What kind of yeast did you use? What was the ABV%? Final SG?

I have one that I made with Champagne yeast that I hope will mellow after several months. Its ok, but not what I would chose to drink. The ABV was fairly high.

I have read that cysers take a while to mellow.

That's definitely the honey. You've made a cyser, as Rukus said. Those are really good but need age to mellow out. I've got one about a year old and it's still a little gamey.

Musty, Carpet, Mold, etc. That's textbook honey fermentation without age or other methods of mead making.

Oh wait... a year this has been in secondary? Forget whatever I just said. I don't know.

I missed the 1 year aging as well. Maybe its just the cinnamon. I never tried spices. I have a hard enough time getting it right with just the basics ;)

I missed the 1 year aging as well. Maybe its just the cinnamon. I never tried spices. I have a hard enough time getting it right with just the basics ;)

ABV = 12

Is was just a year this month...BUT the carpet mold thing you're describing is exactly the taste maybe it needs more time to "mello"

Unless it fermented really slowly, and thus hasn't necessarily aged that long because it hadn't finished fermenting, then I don't know what to tell you. The musty moldy character should definitely be gone within a year of fermentation. Did you use buckwheat honey? I've read that has a funky character for a long time, but I've never used it.

You might want to post a link to this question in the Mead Forum.

It was clove honey. I'm gonna let it sit for another six months before I try it again. I have a five Gallon batch I made with molasses I can suck on until then. I need to get to the orchard and start more batches before it's too late.

Think I'm gonna stick with regular sugar this year, I've never had poor results with that.

It was clove honey. I'm gonna let it sit for another six months before I try it again. I have a five Gallon batch I made with molasses I can suck on until then. I need to get to the orchard and start more batches before it's too late.

Think I'm gonna stick with regular sugar this year, I've never had poor results with that.

I had been wondering about Cider with Molasses. How does that taste? I tried with brown sugar, but it was a tad bitter. That was with Champagne yeast though. Seems like everything I do with Champagne yeast its a touch bitter. Perhaps because it ferments so fast.

I had been wondering about Cider with Molasses. How does that taste? I tried with brown sugar, but it was a tad bitter. That was with Champagne yeast though. Seems like everything I do with Champagne yeast its a touch bitter. Perhaps because it ferments so fast.

I used Red Star Montrachet but I have used Champagne with Molasses before, you're right on with the bitter thing it's less bitter with the Montrachet an I get a nice apple after bite. I love the Molasses but most people I give this too do not. With this batch it was in the secondary for over a year and it's the most smooth one I made. Normally I can't wait a year and dig into it way too soon.

If I had to compare it with something I would say it's similar to a barley wine Sam Adams made years back call "sam adams triple bock"

sam%20adams%20triple%20bock.jpg

but less viscous, and slightly sweeter.

Back