Tastes like Seltzer water.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moleary

Reaction score
Hi,

I just brewed my first batch of beer, a blonde ale from this kit:

http://www.homebrewers.com/product/ALP1010/Blonde-Ale-Beer-Kit.html

It used Perl hops, Breiss Pilsen LME, and Nottingham yeast. I let it ferment 7 days, then bottled, and the tried it after 2 weeks of conditioning.

Seems to come out tasting like beer (don't think it went bad), but seemed kind of bitter in the middle (not a good hoppy bitter), and finished like seltzer water.

Does anyone know what happened? Did I drink it too early? Bad kit? Too much water?

Thanks for any help.

Probably just not a very good kit.If you hit all your numbers as far as water volume,boil times,ect. Then its probably just the kit.

7 days & then bottled? what was your FG ? It looks like the OG would have been @ 1.050, which is a fairly big beer & it probably needed more than 7 days to finish fermenting.

I'd say at this point, let it sit for another 3-4 weeks & see if it doesn't mellow out.

Yeah, I actually didn't use the hydrometer at all (was afraid of contaminating it), although it seems from all these forums that I probably should have.

I let it sit for 7 days but the air lock stopped really bubbling after 2-3 days and by 4-5 days was completely motionless.

Suppose I will let it sit longer, and look for a new recipe (and take measurements next time).

I'd suggest reading www.howtobrew.com - you'll get some worthwhile info there. You really don't have to worry about contamination from a hydrometer reading - especially if you don't try to return the sample back into the fermenter.

Good luck with it.

Just an update, after another week, it came out tasting a lot better, more like an actual blonde ale.

Back