Tasted my beer at week 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainL

Reaction score
Hey guys. First brew. 1 week in the primary (Will do longer next time) and 1 week in the secondary so far. Took a SG reading and it came in at 1.015 ish. I'm going to give it another week at least and then bottle.

Anyhow, I took the sample and chilled it to "taste" it. It tastes like sour flat beer. I could barely take a mouth full without gagging. I know it's far from done, but I was hoping it would taste a little better.

Can someone maybe just encourage me and tell me there is hope????

Oh yeah, Mountons bock, with some DME (or something) and 1/2 lb of sugar. I will definitely try a better kit next time.

I usually only taste before pitching yeast and before bottling.
Because, as you found out, yeast at work do not make me say yum.

I've never gagged on my beers after 2 weeks but still fermenting beer is obviously not as good as when the yeast party is over. The good news is that time is on your side. Let her go another week bottle then wait a few more before tasting in again. Some beers do improve greatly after a few weeks/months in a bottle.

I could barely take a mouth full without gagging.

:eek:

Yeah seriously, I just brewed my first cider yesterday, and forgot to take an OG reading.
I opened the carboy up to take a hydrometer reading.
I figured may as well give it a sample. Nasty stuff, but don't worry.

This is the reason why we let fermentation take a week or two instead of a few days!
Give it some time, and drink some beer in the meantime!

Thanks guys. I took a few sips and they were ok, but a hole mouth full was too much. I guess time is on my side here. I had a stomach bug last week so maybe my taste is still off too.

I had a somewhat similar experience, though mine didn't make me gag. Just didn't taste all that great (smoky porter). Been in primary a month now (likely bottling tomorrow) and the other day when I tried it again while taking a hydrometer reading it tasted WAY better. I can't wait to try this cold and carbed.

i tasted my agave wheat when it went from primary to secondary.. which i also racked too soon following directions included in kit.. it tasted like dead babies. its now kegged up and carbing so i hope the dead baby taste is going away as we speak.

I just had the same experience...4 days ago (after 3 weeks in primary) it was Y-U-K ! ! ! ! ...last night it was better. Before, I wanted to gag...last night the taste was still there but I could actually stand to be in the same room with it, as it has started to taste like beer again :)

In my case I am reasonably sure it was the yeast...it could very well be the case with yours too.

and LOL @ franklinswheat... "dead babies?" HAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAA What a great description ;)

Definitely let it sit until the gravity reading stays constant over the course of a few days.

Also, as you said, next time give it more time in the primary for sure. For me, after my initial reading I don't even think about taking another gravity reading until it's sat in the primary for at least two weeks. Now that was difficult to do for the first few batches of my "career", but the more you brew you'll find yourself becoming more patient.

Back