Tasted my Austin Homebrew Blue Moon clone tonight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 29674

Reaction score
Nice dense, creamy head, good lacing. Nice and cloudy, the color is slightly light. Doesn't taste anything like a Blue Moon (no spiciness, no orange coming through), but it does taste a lot like Hoegaarden. Unfortunately, I hate Hoegaarden. I'm a little bummed. :(

Oh well, up next is an APA.

Funny, I'm the opposite, I like Blue Moon ok but prefer a more mellowed out Wit like Hoe or Mothership Wit. Have you tried the orange slice trick in your glass. If you kegged it you could try adding more coriander to spice it up.

I had some temp control problems during ferm that may have contributed a little, but there are reviews on the AHBS site with similar thoughts as mine - in style for a wit, but not much like Blue Moon. Guess I should have read that before buying...

It's a decent Wit but it isn't Blue Moon.

BierMuncher has a Blue Moon clone. You could try his. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/blue-balls-belgian-wit-blue-moon-clone-24978/

Fermentation temp control isn't an issue with the Wit yeast unless you underpitch. I like to pitch a 1L starter and ferment as warm as I can get it. A local micro pitches theirs at 68*F and lets it get up to 95*F. It's a fantastic beer!

Let it age for a few months and try it again. I think you will be pleased as it will mellow out quite a bit.

Yea, I'm going to sit on it for a while. My temp problems were it getting too cold. It ended up taking 3.5 weeks to ferment out because I couldn't keep the temp up. I think I'm missing out on a lot of nice fruity esters because of it. Oh well. I have BM's Blue Moon clone on my list of recipes to make, I'll get to it one of these days.

Blue Moon is about as estery as a BMC IMO... If I wanted to make a Blue Moon clone, I would use the American Hefe yeast in it and pitch at a high rate, at least 1M/ml/*P. It's also a bit darker than a Belgian Wit, and less tart, I'm thinking malted wheat.

Back