Tasted my apfelwein @ 4.5 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregg Meyer

Reaction score
This weekend will be right over 5weeks for this stuff. I took a sample looked at the reading 0.010 i think high on the scale so what ever that means. the color was a light Liebfermulch (sp) golden yellow. The flavor was barely apple and a little bit sweet and a little bit dry/sour. I think it sucks for all the work and waiting you do. I am going to bottle still 2 gallons of it about 10 wine bottles and then add sugar to then bottle the last 3 gallons in flip top beer bottles and then wait 4 months. Is this the drill? God i hope thi9s stuff is good. I won't be able to try this stuff till right before 4th of July. ideas? comments? am I nuts?

Oscar,

Did you alter the recipe in anyway? Because it should drop far below 1.010. It generally gets between .990 and .998. Sounds like you either changed the recipe, or it just isn't done fermenting. Is it crystal clear yet? You mentioned the color but neglected to mention its color.

*Not to be an ass, but this is one of the quickest and easiest/least work demanding recipes available on this site, so if you think it sucks for all the waiting and work, I'm a little confused.

My guess is that you bottled way too early, like previously said, it should go below 1.000 more likely around 0.998. Let it sit, bulk age, etc. don't bottle until it's clear.

I tried my first batch about the same time you did and i thought it tasted bad also. I let it sit for another 3 weeks. When i tried it again it was much better.
The batch i have going now is still fermenting at 6 weeks, i think you just need to let it finish fermenting to at leas 1.000 and then let it age for a long as you can wait.

Ok fella's I did not bottle it yet. It is still in the primary carboy. it is getting clearer i just want to have a good result and so far i'm not too impressed. I did not alter the recipe. 5 gals of apple juice, tree top. corn sugar and red star pasteur champagne yeast becuase tyhat uis what i had on hand and thought it would be just fine using that. I will take another reading and really pay attention to it and tell you guys exactly what it is, at that time. The color is golden in color really great looking and clearing nicely. When i took the first reading the sample was still full of micro scopic bubbles so yes it was and is still fermenting. I have allot of patients so I can wait as long as it takes. This being my first time at this style of fermenting a apple wine i don't know what to do or look for. Any answerrs are appreciated and don't call yourself and ass. i appreciate all replys. I'm trying to learn here dudes so go for it.

I'm in the same boat as you. Just about the same thing happened to me. I just put the carboy over near the base board heat and I'm going to forget about it until it clears. If that's months then oh well.

yea I just went down stairs to see how clear it is , well it is pretty clear but not enough to read through it but it is getting there. There is no bubbling now at all so that is over with I think. If you bump the carboy can that start the fermenting again? Is all the yeast done from top to bottom of the layer on the bottom? The taste wasn't too good a week or so ago and so it has a loooong way to go for me to say hey thats good. We'll see.

I've found that 6 weeks @ 70-80F in the carboy is perfect. It will be crystal clear and ready for bottling/kegging. That said, it really doesn't taste great for another 4 weeks IMHO. After 3 months in the bottle/keg, this stuff is delicious. You can drink it earlier, but it's a bit hot on the alcohol and light on the apple taste. For the flavors to properly blend, it needs quite a few weeks.

Or.......just drink 3 in rapid succession! After that it will taste GREAT! :rockin:

My timing was a little off i started mine on Jan 10 so I am at 5 weeks. The temp down stairs is 68 so I have some time to go. What do you think about just bottling it still.

Bottling it still is just fine. The way you drink your apfelwein is totally up to you, still sparkling aged not aged... you drink it the way you like it.

My first bath i bottled with one can of apple juice concentrate. I was impatient and shared two gallons in the first week. The rest i am hoping will stay around and carb up as well as age a few months.

let it sit guys. dont look at it dont touch it. after a couple months take some readings and a sample and then bottle. then let it sit. dont touch for 6 months and drink a bottle as a taste and let it sit a couple more months.

this is what i have gathered from reading and what i am doing

maybe after a few batches i will be able to let it sit but right now i cant.

Back