Tasted hydro sample of Oatmeal Stout - huge problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfr1111

Reaction score
I took my FG reading today using my new wine thief. Dropped the hydrometer in the thief, unreadable due to foam :( But what's more of a problem is the aroma and taste of the beer. Now, I know there has been a lot of thread about people having problems at times, but this is probably unusual.

It was so delicious I almost resanitized just to drink another sample :D You can taste the oats and the chocolate upfront and then there's a nice, soft lingering bitterness. Not much coffee or roast, but there's a nice background of malty sweetness to balance the hops. This is a much more subtle beer at 7 days than I thought it would be. Reminded me of Saint-Ambroise Oatmeal Stout, alough it doesn't have the salty "soy sauce" aftertaste.

I might have to hide this so friends don't kill my two cases when it'll be finished. I'll let it sit for a couple more weeks and then bottle, just to play it safe, but it did taste finished, altough without a SG reading, you just can't be sure. I removed the beer from the swamp cooler (rubbermaid storage bin with water and wolf t-shirt): the temperature stays stable at around 17-18 Celcius and the water was starting to get cloudy and nasty. Is it okay to do so since the bulk of the fermentation seems to be done ?

I used the preboiled wort from Festa Brew and, altough it's a bit pricey (32$ for 5.5 gallons), it's really worth it.

No, the problem is that I might drink it before it's even carbonated in the bottles :D You know sneaking gravity readings here and there, just to be sure it's done...

The supplies for another brew are coming in the mail, so yeah, park and forget.

I did a pre boiled honey blonde ale from THE BREW HOUSE. It was one of the best beers i have ever tasted!

Man, that sound good. I'll have to add that to my to-brew list. its becoming very long. another month or so and we go all-grain!

Ive been putting off all grain. Going to be real cold outside here very soon, and i cant run a propane burner in my house.

I wonder if it tastes done because the wort is preboiled and has had time to "precondition" while sitting on the shelf in a shop somewhere.

Back