Tasted first non-MrB brew, help me decide on equipment...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bzwyatt

Reaction score
I brewed a few MrB kits, they were acceptable, but I want to make excellent beer. I think my problems were crap temp control (fermenter was high 70s a lot) and I am impatient and drank it all after 3 or 4 weeks from pitching.

I made my first extract/specialty grain batch, a Belgian blond that fermented for 19 days I think, bottle for 20. Was my birthday yesterday and I drank it. It was pretty good... better than MrB... but had some similar flavors that I'm not really into. Could be green, I am learning the flavor... I think it could be the Belgian yeast too, which makes me wonder what the yeast really is that MrB uses. And I don't know why I didn't think of it before, but they are giving you ale yeast to make an 'american lager', no wonder it doesn't really taste all that crips and clean...

Anyway, I need more equipment. I have a 6.5-gal bucket, and a 5-gal carboy. When I transfered my last batch to the carboy, I immediately started a new batch in the bucket. Now my carboy is ready to bottle, so I need another vessel (I don't have anything empty). I could get another carboy, transfer from my bucket to the carboy, then use my bucket as a bottler. I could get another bucket, dedicated for bottling. I am thinking about getting a 6.5-gal carboy too...

Basically, I want three vessels so I can do at least two batches at a time and still bottle. Should I get another carboy or a bucket? I have an autosiphon, don't think I want a spigot on the bucket, but do you like them?

I use mostly 6 gallon better bottles for my fermentation. I have 3. I rarely do a secondary fermentation anymore. I also have an Ale Pail, a 5 gallon better bottle and two 3 gallon water bottles for smaller batches.

I would suggest as many fermenters as you think you will need for multiple primaries at one time.

Fermentation temperature control would make a big improvement in your beers as well as letting them mature. If you are finishing them 6-8 weeks after brewing you are drinking "green" beer.
Get a pipeline going so that you are not rushed into drinking your newest brew.

Added: I would also get a dedicated bottling bucket.

May I suggest that, above all else, you take the steps needed to control your fermentation temps? It sounds like you have an issue there which is likely causing most of your flavor shortcomings. Also, pay careful attention to getting the wort temp down into the 60's before pitching yeast.

The most precise way (and, IMO, best if you like to brew and see yourself doing this long term) is to pick up a used freezer or fridge and run it through a digital controller box you make with an STC-1000 ($20 on Amazon).

There are other, less precise, ways of cooling your ferment down that involve using tubs of water with frozen water bottles, wet t-shirts, etc. Any of them are better than nothing.

Until you get your techniques down and produce that first really satisfying batch, it may be best to stick with basic ales. To do a Belgian well requires a bit more finesse (especially good temp control).

You can get a 5-gallon food grade bucket and lid for cheap at Lowes. Add an Italian spigot. Attach a spring-loaded bottling wand to the spigot with a short (2-3") piece of 3/8" vinyl tubing. That's what I bottle from.

Thanks for the advice. I have a fridge and STC-1000 set up now. I didn't with the batch I'm refering to, and I mostly just picked this recipe from my HBS because the ferment temp for the yeast was higher than the others.

I know temp control is my biggest obstacle, and it was the biggest reason I didn't start brewing earlier. This is the last batch that I didn't have in the fridge, so I'm hoping the next ones will be markedly improved.

I started with Mr beer and made about 5 batches. Hme just doesn't taste good to me. Good luck on your hunt for equipment. I use yoopers ice chest method right now for temp control. Works great. I can keep a steady temp anywhere between 50-80f

Using fresh, quality ingredients with temperature control will make a big difference in your beers. Getting a good pipeline going so that you are not as tempted to drink the beer before it is at it's prime will also make a difference.

Thanks for the advice. I have a fridge and STC-1000 set up now. I didn't with the batch I'm refering to, and I mostly just picked this recipe from my HBS because the ferment temp for the yeast was higher than the others.

I know temp control is my biggest obstacle, and it was the biggest reason I didn't start brewing earlier. This is the last batch that I didn't have in the fridge, so I'm hoping the next ones will be markedly improved.

Excellent. Congratulations on you taking that step. No doubt you will notice a significant improvement in the first batch fermented with that setup.

Since you now have this ability, pitch and begin fermenting your typical ale at the low end of the optimal range for the yeast you're using, keep it there 5-7 days and then slowly ramp it up to where it spends the last week at the upper end of optimal. After ferment, you can now also cold crash 4-5 days before bottling to help clarify your brew.

Yeah, the pipline thing is big for me and I am pretty much there. This weekend I drank the Belgian PA, next weekend I have an amber that'll be 3 weeks in bottles, the next weekend my dunkelweisen is ready, a porter the next weekend, a belgian blond the next week. And I just picked up ingredients for an IPA that I will brew today or tomorrow. So if I keep going every week, I'll keep having a new brew every week... I might let it go every two weeks, we will see... but I really want to just keep it coming.

I really might have to keg sometime though... I don't mind bottling really, but I don't know where I'm going to get bottles, you know? I don't like buying them empty, 'cause they aren't much cheaper than full of beer, but I don't really drink beer that comes in 24-packs at the store anymore...

I ended up with another bucket. I want a 6.5 carboy so I can watch the fermentation, but that'll wait for another time. I also picked up a burner and an 8-gallon kettle, it was nice to have some real heat and a decent pot when I brewed my IPA last night.

I just got my gas bill today, I've been brewing with hour-long boils for a month or two. Gas bill is usually $30 or less this time of year, but this one is almost $50. No biggy, just funny how much I'm using it.

Well I got myself a 6.5 gallon carboy last weekend and I love it! I love being able to see all the activity, it is awesome! I am getting ready to make an order at northernbrewer, I want a bottle tree and a vinator and a few other things.

It is weird how the beer is something I feel protecitve over. For instance, I feel much better knowing it is in a fridge, not overheating, and happy and I am treating it well. I used to just do my best with an LBK in a cooler in the coolest place in my apartment, and they were always running hot. So it is better to not be worried I'm ruining my beer, but I also have a sort of emotional satisfaction that I'm not abusing my yeast. I kinda feel psycho... but I have a feeling I'm not the only crazy guy on here...

I started with Mr beer and made about 5 batches. Hme just doesn't taste good to me. Good luck on your hunt for equipment. I use yoopers ice chest method right now for temp control. Works great. I can keep a steady temp anywhere between 50-80f
1.gif
I failed several times are

Back