Taste of My Beer 2 Weeks Since Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polamalu43

Reaction score
I tasted my weizen two weeks after brewing it and it definitely had a sour, possibly soap-like aftertaste. Fermentation stopped one week after brewing it so it's been bottled for one week. Will this off-flavor subside with more time in the bottle?

In general do off-flavors subside with more time? I was always under the impression that the only thing that subsides after more aging were flaws that were non off-flavors in beer (e.g. strong alcoholic aromas, overly sweet tastes, etc.). But, off-flavors (e.g. wet cardboard, sour or soapy tastes, etc) never really subside.

I'm a total noob and I realize I should probably RDWHAHB. I just want some counseling from the veterans here.

Has anyone ever tasted their beer 2 weeks post brewing?

One last note is that it had good carbonation and good head, but it was watery as all hell.

Thanks for your help.

Two weeks is way too soon to judge a beer. Be patient. Leave it for three more weeks, at least, before judging it. It will undoubtedly improve immensely!

You might also want to consider using a secondary fermenter to let it settle and age a couple more weeks before bottling.

You're drinking a two-week old weizen. My guess is you have a ton of yeast suspended in those beers and your flavor is off kilter.

I'd have let the beer primary for at least 2 weeks to allow some excessive yeast to settle out. But...since it's in the bottles, give it 3-4 more weeks to bottle condition.

The watery aspect will go away as the CO2 becomes fully absorbed into the solution. Beer always "gains body" as the carboantion reaches full saturation.

To add to BierMuncher's comments...I usually rack my HWs to a secondary to allow more of the yeast to fall out.

When I rack to the bottling bucket I'll take "some" of the yeast off of the bottom. You only need enough to get it cloudy again. ;)

There's nothing wrong with sampling your brew now, but the flavor will change over time. If it has a good carbonation level now then I would recommend placing them in the fridge for a couple days/week before sampling another one. ;)

Back