taste like water!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhoyt

Reaction score
I brewed a belgien white not long ago and realized when I took a hydro I was really low on my goal OG. I realized my mistake right away. The recipe called for only a 30 min boil and I still used 6 gallons of water. When I racked it to the secondary I took a second hydro and emptied the sample in a glass to taste. It was very thin for the lack of a better word and that doesn't tickle my fancy in the slightest bit. I have some malto dextrin but is it to late to use? I have never used it before and I'm not sure if I can use it at bottling or it should have been done at the boil. I have no idea how much to use either...

nice so how much? 8oz? 4oz? im sure i depends on palate but what is average?

4 to 8 ounces is about average. Please remember that uncarbonated, green beer will taste and feel very different when carbonated and aged.

I can agree with that. Thanks for the help. I think im going to see how 4 oz does me. I have read that the stuff works pretty well, im not positive if I want to use the whole 8oz. Who knows I like thick beer.

remember that high attenuation is a good thing in belgians, and carbonation will change how it is perceived. what was OG, and target/resulting FG?

You said you boiled it longer? So you will have a higher OG than what was called for right?

Uncarbonated beer tastes watery. I made the same post you did about my first beer. It was definitely NOT watery after a month in the bottles. I'd leave your beer alone. Seriously.

I'm confused, what was your OG and FG? Did you just rack it to secondary? This statement "The recipe called for only a 30 min boil and I still used 6 gallons of water" is confusing also, what does one have to do with the other?

I'm confused, what was your OG and FG? Did you just rack it to secondary? This statement "The recipe called for only a 30 min boil and I still used 6 gallons of water" is confusing also, what does one have to do with the other?

Sounds to me like he didn't have enough boil off due to the short boil time. He may have ended up with 5.5 gal or final wort causing it to be thin. But a OF and FG would definitely help here.

Yeah thats correct, I didn't get enough boil off... Target OG was around 1.040-1.045. I think I ended up with about 1.035 give or take. I usually taste my beer when I rack it to the second so I have some idea of the diffrences and this one was definitly watery. I wasn't to surprised as much disappointed....

Latest posts

Back