Taste Definitions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

au1991rx

Reaction score
I am new to this "hobby" but definately not new to beer drinking. This is my first brew. How do I know if what I am tasting is OK or not. Stupid question I know but I swear this first batch tastes like clove but it does not smell like clove. I made a Corona kit which included a grain bag for steeping and the smell does remind me of Corona. It just has this weird aftertaste. It has been 3 weeks and 2 days since brewing and I had to try it. Will this mellow w/ time?? I there a place to look up tastes with definitions as to what causes the taste. As it stands now, it is not great but it is drinkable and it may grow on me. If I made a mistake I would like to know what it is. Thanks to all.

What ingredients were in the kit?
What temperature did it ferment at?
How long did it actually ferment?
Did you transfer it anywhere or bottle it?

au1991rx said:
How do I know if what I am tasting is OK or not.

Well here is how I do it - and it's pretty scientific...

I drink it and...

If I say yummy! It's OK!

If I say yuck! It's not OK!

Hope that helps :mug:

rdwj said:
Well here is how I do it - and it's pretty scientific...

I drink it and...

If I say yummy! It's OK!

If I say yuck! It's not OK!

Hope that helps :mug:

If you say yummy, drink another one, if that one is yummy drink another one, rinse, repeat, if after a while your not noticing taste: It's OK!

au1991rx said:
It has been 3 weeks and 2 days since brewing and I had to try it. Will this mellow w/ time?? I there a place to look up tastes with definitions as to what causes the taste. As it stands now, it is not great but it is drinkable and it may grow on me. If I made a mistake I would like to know what it is. Thanks to all.
Give it a couple more weeks in the bottle (tasting one or three along the way). You'll be surprised at how it changes.

One more thing. Start another batch because this one will go quick.

:mug:

Ingredients - Light Malt #4.4
Rice Syrup Solids #2
Weyermann Vienna 12oz
Target - Bittering 4aau
Liberty - Aroma 0.5 oz 5 gallons

Fermentation Temp/Time - Basement at about 72 1 week in Primary
and 2 weeks in Secondary -> Keg in fridge.

Irregardless of how it tastes I will drink it ... It probably just needs to age in my stomach. I will sample it over the next few weeks to see how it changes. Thanks to all..

So if you brewed it 3 weeks and 2 days ago and it spent a week in the primary and 2 weeks in the secondary, then its only been in the keg for 2 days, right? Give it a couple more weeks for the flavors to come together.

Bump. After a few more weeks this batch tastes very good and smoothed out nicely. Every 3 or 4 days it tasted better and better. Good learning experience for me. I have 2 more 5 gallon batches which should be ready in the next few weeks. I have learned patience with this batch. Thanks.

Hahaha that is such a classic story. I don't know if there is anyone that hasn't thought their first batch was ruined at some point or another.

david_42 said:
http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-2.html

For future reference.

I still think the guy who was complaining about the flavor of his brew, when it hadn't even finished fermenting, has to be the all-time winner.

one of my mates did that - did not even get to the bottle stage - just straight out the barrel when the airlock stopped bubbling. Couldn't wait any longer as he and another bloke were getting into it and ran out of cans of beer. Apparently the next morning was a bit on the nose.

Per the directions I steeped the grain bag while heating the water at the beginning of the recipe. Now that I have been studying this for a month or so I realize that some grains are already converted and don't have to be mashed (steeping alone will extract the sugars although not at a high %). Anyway, is the recipe correct - i.e. these grains don't need mashing??

A month ago I would have thought a "mash" was some sort of dance. Ha. I am moving along quickly - time to open a brew pub.

Back