Targeting Correct Carbonation Levels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amiller

Reaction score
Hey guys! So I've been brewing and bottling for a few years now and completed quite a few brews and looking for ways to up my consistency.

Typically for bottling, I usually dissolve about 115-120 grams of dextrose in the same amount of boiling water, chill, dump into the bottling bucket and siphon about 5 gallons onto the sugar, fill bottles, carbonate, chill, pour and drink. Great :yes:

However, I want to get more consistent and better target carbonation levels based on the type of beer (light and crisp with high carb, or a high body IPA with good head retention that doesn't go flat before slow drinkers finish it..). Right now I have a MO/Cascade SMASH IPA in the primary and want to have it perfect on drinking day.

Any guidance on how to target specific carbonation levels other than, more dextrose = more bubbles? Obviously when kegging, it's much easier through pressure regulation but I don't have the space nor money to commit to that right now.

Looking forward to any help/suggestions!

Exactly what I'm looking for, a connection between volumes of CO2 and priming sugar amounts. Thank you!

Back