Targeting a dry IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

jtompkin

Reaction score
I'm trying to make a dry IPA that is at about 7% abv. I'm new to all grain brewing. My first AG batch was good but is a little on the sweet side. The FG came in at was 1.012 but I wanted the beer that was a little less sweet.

I had this beer on primary for 5 days with the secondary at 15 days. To dry it out, my plan on my next attempt is to go 7 days on pri, and 21 on sec.

Is this adding a good plan?

I should also mention I keg the beer. Another thought I had was to keg it at 15 lbs @ 70 deg to let it finish out.

What do you think I should do?
JTBrewing

HopNutz

Reaction score
If you want a dryer IPA, substitute a portion of the base malt for dextrose. Maybe 5-10%. You could also mash a degree or two lower as well.

OP
J

jtompkin

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I'll share the recipe when I get back to my notes.

brewmeister13

Reaction score
Remember that hops can also provide a perceived sweetness. Pliny the Elder finishes around 1.011 and it is a classical example of dry IPA.

OP
J

jtompkin

Reaction score
That's a good point. I'll take another look at my hop selection. Thanks.

jro238

Reaction score
As others have pretty much said, final gravity has everything to do with recipe, mash temp, and yeast health/pitch size and very very little to do with fermentation time.

I actually just got done brewing a pliny the elder clone recipe a few days ago. I have to admit that I haven't ever tried the actual beer since we don't have it out here but I used a 150F mash temp, about 10% dextrose as well as a very small % of crystal malt. This, along with a healthy yeast pitch, got me from 1.072 down to 1.009 in 9 days at 66F. Kegged a bit of it (the gallon or so that wouldn't fit in the dry hopped keg) and was drinking a very good, dry beer 2 days later. Pleasantly dangerous to have a 8-8.5% beer that tastes like a 6% beer and can be enjoyed pint after pint.

Even at a FG of 1.009 though, the hops do give an upfront sweetness as brewmeister mentioned above.

KIAKillerXJ

Reaction score
Mash temp, dextrose, % crystal malts, and hops can all affect perceived sweetness. 1.012 is generally considered fairly dry

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Grannyknot

Reaction score
For my dry 7% ipa, I shoot for a OG of around 1.064.
I mash at 148*, usually for around 75 minutes.
Keep the crystal malts at or below 5% of the recipe.
I ferment at 67*, then after 2 weeks, I bring it up to about 70-72* to try and finish it off.
For the hops, I steer clear of anything that could add an onion or sweet taste. Summit is a no-no for dry beers, IMO.

I can usually get it down to around 1.008 or 1.009

Some important things to strive for are good mash efficiency, low mash temp, full conversion, & very little crystal malts.

Calichusetts

Reaction score
Don't be afraid to mess around with "drier" malt types, especially the English varieties. I've achieved a dryer beer even finishing as high as 1.014-18. Cut out the crystal completely if you really want a dry beer IMO.

KIAKillerXJ

Reaction score
crystal is residual sweetness. So something like a SMASH could finish quite dry. IMO there is such a thing as too dry, so I'm not exactly sure where you are trying to target. I do like a dry IPA, Pliny being a good example.