Target Brand Up & Up Oxygen Cleaner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DM3MD157

Reaction score
Has anyone used the Target branded Up & Up Oxygen cleaner? I bought a tub of this before reading about people using OxiClean Free that is free of fragrances and dyes. I don't think it has either of them since the color is just white, and it doesn't appear to have any scent to it. Can anyone confirm this?

Also from my research, it appears that the scoop that comes with the Up & Up is smaller than OxiClean's. The scoop I believe is equivalent to 2 tablespoons. That said, how much is a good amount to use to clean a 5 or 6 gallon carboy/Better Bottle?

Nope. It's probably the same thing, but I've never had great success with Target's house brand products. They all let me down some how.

Turn them over. Then they say "dn & dn".

Nope. It's probably the same thing, but I've never had great success with Target's house brand products. They all let me down some how.

Turn them over. Then they say "dn & dn".
Funny! :lol:

I don't mind using Target branded products, I just didn't know if their oxygen cleaner had any fragrances or dyes. Does the normal OxiClean powder (non-free) have a smell to it in its native form?

I have used it before and it works. Just make sure and get the fragrance free stuff. I have very hard water so I have to make sure I always rinse it well with hot water after, but I have to do the same with the "Oxy" stuff too.

Yes I use it. It works awesome and is a fraction of the price. Do recommend.

Funny! :lol:

I don't mind using Target branded products, I just didn't know if their oxygen cleaner had any fragrances or dyes. Does the normal OxiClean powder (non-free) have a smell to it in its native form?

Sorry, forgot to reply last night. Yes, OxiClean has a very slight lavender scent, but I can't tell if that's added or just the smell of the stuff.

OxiClean and the generic knockoffs all leave a film if you let things sit in them. You have to rinse very thoroughly to get it all off. This is more of a concern than fragrances to me.

I have used it before and it works. Just make sure and get the fragrance free stuff. I have very hard water so I have to make sure I always rinse it well with hot water after, but I have to do the same with the "Oxy" stuff too.

When I bought it I only saw one kind of Target brand. On the bucket it doesn't say whether it is fragrance free or not, but from smelling the powder it doesn't really have a scent to it.

Yes I use it. It works awesome and is a fraction of the price. Do recommend.

How much do you use on a carboy?

When I bought it I only saw one kind of Target brand. On the bucket it doesn't say whether it is fragrance free or not, but from smelling the powder it doesn't really have a scent to it.

How much do you use on a carboy?

I fill my carboy most of the way with hot water, add 1 scoop, and fill it the rest of the way. Same for brew kettle. I leave the kettle overnight. Most of the time the carboy is ready to be rinsed after less than an hour.

I don't know how big the difference is in scoop sizes, but I use about 1/4 of the OxiClean scoop, 6 gallons of the hottest water I can get in there, and a 24 hour soak. Then a good going over with a carboy brush. I really wish I'd bought the drill-powered carboy cleaner.

I can bust out the scale and measure out the amount I use if you need me to.

I don't know how big the difference is in scoop sizes, but I use about 1/4 of the OxiClean scoop, 6 gallons of the hottest water I can get in there, and a 24 hour soak. Then a good going over with a carboy brush. I really wish I'd bought the drill-powered carboy cleaner.

I can bust out the scale and measure out the amount I use if you need me to.
No worries, if you don't know off the top of your head no big deal. I can start off with half a scoop which would be 1 tbsp. If that doesn't cut it, I can always add more. My bigger concern is the residue that the oxygen cleaners leave. Some say to use some sort of acid to get rid of it (e.g. vinegar, StarSan). Does it just rinse off?

No worries, if you don't know off the top of your head no big deal. I can start off with half a scoop which would be 1 tbsp. If that doesn't cut it, I can always add more. My bigger concern is the residue that the oxygen cleaners leave. Some say to use some sort of acid to get rid of it (e.g. vinegar, StarSan). Does it just rinse off?

Mine rinses out no problem. It might depend on your water though.

It will rinse off, but you'll need to use hot water and some shaking force if you don't want to touch it. Otherwise, a quick swipe with a sponge does it.

It will rinse off, but you'll need to use hot water and some shaking force if you don't want to touch it. Otherwise, a quick swipe with a sponge does it.

Most of the time mine just falls right off of the Better Bottle without me even touching it. If it does stick, I just put a rag inside the fermenter and give it a swirl and it falls right off.

Not to beat a dead horse, but for those who have used it, can you confirm that this is fragrance free just like OxiClean Free is?

Not to beat a dead horse, but for those who have used it, can you confirm that this is fragrance free just like OxiClean Free is?

They have both fragrance free and scented. Just look for the fragrance free. :mug:

Back