Tare weight for 10lb. Steel CO2 tank

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

wsmith1625

Reaction score
Last visit to my CO2 supplier, I changed my swap out size from a 5lb. tank to a 10lb. tank. The 10lb. tank is a steel tank and it doesn't have a tare weight stamped into it. Can anyone share the tare weight for their 10lb. steel tank? I know there could be variations in weight, but just to get a ballpark estimate. My tank weighs 19lbs. now, so it's definitely getting low. Thanks!

OP
wsmith1625

wsmith1625

Reaction score
I double checked the weight of my tank and it's definitely19lbs, but I think it might actually be aluminum. It didn't like any of the magnets I tested on it. Sorry about that, but they painted the tank so I assumed it was steel.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
how long did it last you? i just lost 8oz's to a leaky QD. thankfully i had a spare that works! leaks are a bitch! (and my 20lb aluminum tank i think weighs around 25lb's empty, acording to the DOT/serial number, and manufacturers website. also didn't have a TW stamp)

OP
wsmith1625

wsmith1625

Reaction score
how long did it last you? i just lost 8oz's to a leaky QD. thankfully i had a spare that works! leaks are a bitch! (and my 20lb aluminum tank i think weighs around 25lb's empty, acording to the DOT/serial number, and manufacturers website. also didn't have a TW stamp)
I filled it 2 kegs ago, but the Sodastream my wife got this past Christmas has really upped our use. The adapter to fill the Sodastream tank is a must have.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I filled it 2 kegs ago, but the Sodastream my wife got this past Christmas has really upped our use. The adapter to fill the Sodastream tank is a must have.

i get 18lb's in my 20lb tanks. but i only use about 3.5oz's to carb and push a keg. i find it hard to believe your sodastream is burning through that much co2?

OP
wsmith1625

wsmith1625

Reaction score
i get 18lb's in my 20lb tanks. but i only use about 3.5oz's to carb and push a keg. i find it hard to believe your sodastream is burning through that much co2?
Honestly, I'm burning through a lot CO2 with the Sodastream. I was shocked how quickly we were able to empty the tank. My family is drinking 4 liters per day, LOL, seriously!

OP
wsmith1625

wsmith1625

Reaction score
And I think the Sodastream uses the same amount of CO2 regardless of the bottle size, so I feel like I'm getting ripped off when filling the smaller 1/2 liter bottles.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm burning through a lot CO2 with the Sodastream. I was shocked how quickly we were able to empty the tank. My family is drinking 4 liters per day, LOL, seriously!

yeah, and i thought a 20lb tank of co2 should only last 2 months at first drinking a gallon of beer a day. now one last almost a year!

5 gallons of co2 only weighs 1.23oz's or something? i'm pretty sure you could do better.