Taps inside the fridge ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

brewman !

Reaction score
I'm setting up a fridge for serving beer from 6 Corny kegs. I don't want to buy through door taps and I don't want to lose storage space in the door to taps.

What are my options for mounting taps inside the fridge ? Ie, I want to open the fridge door to serve my beer.

Is anyone else mounting their taps inside the fridge ?

Tom R

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Some folks on a tight budget use picnic taps inside their fridge.
Just be sure they aren't opened accidently when the door is closed, it's happened!

OP
B

brewman !

Reaction score
Some folks on a tight budget use picnic taps inside their fridge.
Just be sure they aren't opened accidently when the door is closed, it's happened!
I'm doing this now on my current fridge, because I didn't want to ruin it with holes in the door. And yes, I've accidentally sprayed beer with the picnic taps.

9Kegs

Reaction score
Before purchasing a kegerator, I used these adapters that connected the taps to the disconnects.

day_trippr

"This Space For Rent"
Reaction score
fwiw, an HBT member posted a pic of a board mounted up high in the food compartment with his faucets run through on short shanks on the end opposite the door hinges. So the faucets were right there in front when the door was opened but there was still enough height for kegs...

Cheers!

tripelthelightfantastic

Reaction score

Tom R

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I can see advantages to inside faucets:
1. No need for those vinyl caps to keep bugs out.
2. No mildew from condensation.
3. Faucets stay cold for less foaming.

Dealing with faucet drips might be an issue, though.

OP
B

brewman !

Reaction score
wiw, an HBT member posted a pic of a board mounted up high in the food compartment with his faucets run through on short shanks on the end opposite the door hinges. So the faucets were right there in front when the door was opened but there was still enough height for kegs...
This is exactly what I am going to do. I'm going to test the concept with picnic taps first, to make sure I don't mind opening the door to pour.

Beermeister32

Reaction score
I have a bank of 6 mini refrigerators. Currently 3 of them are set up with 6 kegs on tap. The others are set up for fermenting or beer bottle storage. Each has its own digital temperature control. Works great!

Attachments

tripelthelightfantastic

Reaction score
I have a bank of 6 mini refrigerators. Currently 3 of them are set up with 6 kegs on tap. The others are set up for fermenting or beer bottle storage. Each has its own digital temperature control. Works great!
nice setup!
the compensator taps are really useful, and direct connection to the keg means no beer lines to worry about

ifrit2050

Reaction score
Of course, if a put the gas bottle to the outside I can keep four 5gal keg inside. But for my purposes this is enough. I like the modularity and the possibility to change the setup any time when it is inside. That keep the faucets far from my kids 😉, and the possibility to repurpose the fridge easily.

OP
B

brewman !

Reaction score
Here is my fridge set up. It holds 6 kegs. CO2 tank will go on the outside. There is a pull out freezer drawer on the bottom and lots of shelf space in the door.

20211206_152955.jpg

A better view of the keg tops. 6 kegs.

I put the plywood on the floor to make it perfectly level. My last fridge had an uneven floor and kegs would push against each other. If a front keg was empty the keg behind it would try to tip it over.
20211206_152853.jpg

The door has a lot of shelving in it, for storing brewing supplies like hops and yeasts. Or mugs.
20211206_154121.jpg

The info plate from my fridge, in case anyone is interested.
20211206_154114.jpg

Last edited:

Velnerj

Simul justus et potator
Reaction score
Here is my fridge set up. It holds 6 kegs. CO2 tank will go on the outside. There is a pull out freezer drawer on the bottom and lots of shelf space in the door.

View attachment 751552

A better view of the keg tops. 6 kegs.

I put the plywood on the floor to make it perfectly level. My last fridge had an uneven floor and kegs would push against each other. If a front keg was empty the keg behind it would try to tip it over.
View attachment 751553

The door has a lot of shelving in it, for storing brewing supplies like hops and yeasts. Or mugs.
View attachment 751554

The info plate from my fridge, in case anyone is interested.
View attachment 751555
Could you mount a 2x4(or 6?) across the top just above the kegs and install the shanks there? (not sure if I explained that well...)

OP
B

brewman !

Reaction score
Could you mount a 2x4(or 6?) across the top just above the kegs and install the shanks there? (not sure if I explained that well...)
Yes, I'm thinking of doing something like that. Gotta say though that I'm jealous of the "just fridges" in this thread that don't have freezers and then have so much room above the kegs to have a complete pouring surface.

This will probably be an iterative effort. I'll share what I come up with as I do along.