Taprite Secondary regulator issue - please advise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noob_Brewer

Reaction score
So I have a tap rite secondary regulator in my keezer with the polycarbonate bonnets and the regulator that I typically adjust lots because its a "spare" regulator has stopped being able to adjust pressure. I thought that the plastic bonnet was just stripped so I ordered and received (today) a few new bonnets. However, after taking the plastic bonnet off, I can see that the plastic was certainly worn but not completely stripped. And when I tried to take an allen wrench to manually adjust the actual adjustment screw, it will only turn about a half of a turn and that is it. So this regulator is essentially stuck at ~10psi now. Do you think I simply need to purchase another adjustment screw and housing as a whole? In retrospect, while the plastic "tooless" bonnets seem attractive, Ive been annoyed with these regulators to be honest. Thoughts on why I cannot adjust the screw with the allen wrench? The adjustment screw just seems stuck and won't adjust. Thanks in advance.

EDIT this is a 1660SN series tap rite regulator.

Attachments

• IMG_7459.jpg
    IMG_7459.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_7461.jpg
    IMG_7461.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 49
I'm confused, as it seems you are calling the gold-ish plastic knob a "bonnet". The actual "bonnet" is the black plastic chunk screwed onto the regulator body.
If that's what you meant, my apologies.

In any case, at this point I'd remove the bonnet from that regulator and figured out why the adjustment screw is so limited, because you're applying pressure to one end of a stiff spring that should compress way more than what one turn can effect...

Cheers!

I'm confused, as it seems you are calling the gold-ish plastic knob a "bonnet". The actual "bonnet" is the black plastic chunk screwed onto the regulator body.
If that's what you meant, my apologies.

In any case, at this point I'd remove the bonnet from that regulator and figured out why the adjustment screw is so limited, because you're applying pressure to one end of a stiff spring that should compress way more than what one turn can effect...

Cheers!
OK, yes my terminology is way off lol. Sorry about that. When removing the bonnet, I am assuming that I need to completely disconnect the gas to the whole 4 body regulator? I have three other regulators in series with this one, so don't want to screw those up lol. Would it be ok to remove the bonnet with the CO2 tank simply shut off and the check valve closed?

Right then.
If you close the cylinder valve fully you can do whatever needs doing downstream with no worries.
That said, you won't be able to operate the gang until the bonnet is restored...

Cheers!

Right then.
If you close the cylinder valve fully you can do whatever needs doing downstream with no worries.
That said, you won't be able to operate the gang until the bonnet is restored...

Cheers!
Appreciate the insight. Moral of story - since this was my "extra" secondary regulator and I have the other three in use, I won't remove the bonnet until I have a spare handy as a "just in case" scenario. If I don't need it, then Ill just have a spare.

Open the valve (shut off on regulator) and I bet your 10# pressure goes away.

The fact the OP can't actually turn the pressure adjusting screw more than a half-turn seems more important than whatever pressure can be achieved - or trapped...

Cheers!

and what would this tell you about whats wrong with the secondary regulator?

I have a regulator like yours and if I disconnect a keg, then shut the line down, there seems to be pressure that builds up between the valve and the gauge. If I reconnect a non pressureized keg and open the valve, it goes right back to the pressure I had it set at.

The fact the OP can't actually turn the pressure adjusting screw more than a half-turn seems more important than whatever pressure can be achieved - or trapped...

Cheers!

Possible that it's closed completly, but still has pressure built up like I said above.

It's also possible that it's messed up, but another way to check costs nothing.

fwiw, I have a dual-body Taprite and if you turn the pressure knob waaaay below your intended set point it does self-relieve, then you can turn the knob up to hit your target.

Of course, that means being able to turn the knob more than a half-turn...

Cheers!

OK so to report back. Ordered a four new full bonnet assemblies (to make shipping and handling worth my while lol) from keg outlet and they came in today. When I got the bonnet off and removed the screw/nut adjustment assembly, the nut still will not turn on the screw. Its almost like the nut became cross threaded and stuck in this position. Have no clue how this could've happened since Ive never taken this apart before. The secondary regulator has only been operational for about 7 months, so not sure if/how some grime possibly got caught in the screw thread perhaps which locked the nut in place. Very odd to me.

Nonetheless, put on a new bonnet assembly and the secondary regulator works perfectly.

Thanks for the thoughts and tips!

Attachments

• IMG_7492.jpg
    IMG_7492.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 19
May be some fluke gaulding - I think all the parts are stainless steel which does have a tendency to gauld - especially in screw applications.
Good you got it fixed up :)

Cheers!

Back