Tapping / Untapping Commercial Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angry_gopher

Reaction score
I picked up a small keg for an upcoming family function (cause I ain't willing to share my good stuff ;) ) and I'm wondering if I can tap the keg use it, untap to transport and then retap? Just wondering because I'm pretty sure we won't drink the entire keg but I also don't want it to go to waste.

FWIW it's Grizzly Paw Powder Hound Blonde Ale made in Canmore, AB.

Sanke kegs are self-sealing, so removing the tap should result in a (big) can of beer that holds carbonation, just like before it was tapped.
As long as you didn't use an air pump on it, it should remain drinkable...

Cheers!

I picked up a small keg for an upcoming family function (cause I ain't willing to share my good stuff ;) ) and I'm wondering if I can tap the keg use it, untap to transport and then retap? Just wondering because I'm pretty sure we won't drink the entire keg but I also don't want it to go to waste.

FWIW it's Grizzly Paw Powder Hound Blonde Ale made in Canmore, AB.
I do it all the time with a Sanke keg and co2. Just let the beer settle when you get it to the new location for a bit of you can.

It's good to know the Banff area has a brewery.

Just like everyone has mentioned, if you use CO2 for the pressure, then you don't have to worry about oxidation and the beer going skunky. Should last about a month or longer that way. If you use a hand pump, then a week or so before you start noticing a difference (assuming you keep the keg cold.

Back