Tapcooler PRV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phoenix1854

Reaction score
Hey all, I’m bottling with the Tapcooler from the tap for the first time and had a question about the PRV. Is this left closed at the beginning of and during filling and then opened after the bottle is filled to release pressure? Or do you open the PRV prior to filling and keep it open?

I did some testing and have been getting a ton of foam. I thought improper handling of the PRV could be the issue.

It should be set so its balanced with the fill pressure. I find it better to lower the keg pressure to 5-7PSI then match the PRV to that based on a fill or two. I find I have it set right, there's just a little foam on top of the beer and its just starting to come out the overflow tube in the PRV. Too high, filling takes forever or not at all, too low there's a ton of foam on top of the beer. Once I get it right, I can switch to another keg using the same gas line on the keg, purge some pressure and continue right on filling.

It should be set so its balanced with the fill pressure. I find it better to lower the keg pressure to 5-7PSI then match the PRV to that based on a fill or two. I find I have it set right, there's just a little foam on top of the beer and its just starting to come out the overflow tube in the PRV. Too high, filling takes forever or not at all, too low there's a ton of foam on top of the beer. Once I get it right, I can switch to another keg using the same gas line on the keg, purge some pressure and continue right on filling.

So serving pressure at 11-12psi is not recommended? That seems to me my first issue. Thanks for the info. I’ll try lowering the pressure on the keg and see if that improves the process.

I tend not to alter the keg pressure. If the PRV is fully closed and the bottle has been purged/pressurized, there should be no flow. Slowly releasing the PRV will get the flow going. Once you find the preferred fill rate you shouldn't have to touch the PRV again. You'll want a slow "dark fill" with as little foam as possible. Cool and wet bottles help the process too.

Latest posts

Back