Quantcast

Tap water in the airlock?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

85 Haro Designs

Reaction score
Do you use tapwater in your airlock or sanitzed water, or any other "specialty water".

Just curious, I've never heard any mention of what type.

HP_Lovecraft

Reaction score
I've heard plain tap water, bottled water, boiled water, and sanitized solution.
Plus vodka, whiskey, and other high alchohol liquids.

I personally use vodka. Its naturally sanitized, and if it gets sucked in, there is nothing to harm.

nick

s3n8

Reaction score
I use vodka. I think tap water runs the risk of contamination, espescially if temp fluctuations cause some of the water to be sucked into the wort. I dont know what the level of risk is however. I would err on the side of caution and use vodka. I worry about sanitizer-laced water negatively affecting the yeasties if some hits the wort, although I have read that this shouldnt be a problem.

Someone who has been doing this longer please chime in and correct where necessary.

brewt00l

Reaction score
Many times I use whatever is most convenient...starsan, vodka or tap water. If it's for a long secondary or whathaveya, I don't use tap water.

Alabama Brewer

Reaction score
Since my brew consists of 3 gallons of tap water, I have never worried about tap water in the airlock. Never had any trouble.:rockin:

EvilTOJ

Reaction score
I normally use sanitized water from the brew, but if I forget, tap water works fine.

Rick_R

Still Love Fried Chicken
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I use either vodka or Star San sanitizer, but if you use unboiled tap water for the brew, then tap water would probably be okay for the airlock. One thing I like about sanitizer is that if something somehow falls/floats into the airlock, if it gets sucked into the beer at least it has been sanitized.

Rick

JamesKY

Reaction score
I've always used tap water and never had a problem but I should probably be using vodka.

MULE

Reaction score
I've always used sanitized water. But, it looks like I have good excuse to buy some vodka now.

reshp1

Reaction score
+1 for vodka, if for no other reason than to get rid of the extra 5 o'clock vodka left over from our new year's party. :D