Tap water in Hillsboro area

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewddah

Reaction score
Hello! I am relocating to Hillsboro from Phoenix, where you wouldn't even consider drinking the tap water. How is the water in Hillsboro? In Phoenix, I would go get RO water from a machine. Would be cool to not have to do that anymore!

Hello! I am relocating to Hillsboro from Phoenix, where you wouldn't even consider drinking the tap water. How is the water in Hillsboro? In Phoenix, I would go get RO water from a machine. Would be cool to not have to do that anymore!
The entire Portland metro area has good, fairly soft water.

The best thing to do would be look up your local water supplier or go on their website and try to find a water report. Often the mineral contents and other factors in these reports can change seasonally. Many times you can get this print out for free. Hope this helps!

Hi, I currently live in Hillsboro, OR. The water report is available online, but I will give you my highlights.
The water is not fluoridated. It has a harsh chlorine taste due to the chlorihexamine. The water report states polymers (aka plastics) are added to reduce turbidity. Yuck.
I do not use it for my brewing...sorry! Additionally most of the new construction is PEX piping so you have to deal with those contaminants as well.
The water in Portland itself tastes better than Hillsboro. However, I will be checking out an artisan well nearby to see if I can use that for my brewing.

I spent a lot of time in Hillsboro 12 years ago. I just looked it up and the Cornelius Pass Roadhouse is still there. They had a lot of cool craft beer when craft beer was just starting to be cool. I thought Hillsboro was great, green, beautiful close to the coast, lots of interesting people, but the water, not great tasting.

Trust me, this water tastes ten fold better than Phoenix water, which tastes like potting soil. Maine water is still superior to the water here, in my opinion. The water reports for Hillsboro seem promising, so I decided to test its limits and brew a kolsch. We'll see how it turns out.

Back