Tap water chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a1amberrenae

Reaction score
anyone try getting the tap water temp down before passing through a counterflow?

Trying to mimic the breweries that have cooling water at 50 degrees AND conserve on water.

Currently making a coil from SS brakeline that will fit in my side by side freezer. The coil will be in an ice block (using narrow trash can as container). Hope the tap water temp can get to a temp that will take wort one pass in the counterflow.

Making one so that it will drain properly and not freeze up. The store bought chiller coils can't use gravity to drain all liquid when done.

Texas ground water in the summer just can't.

If the water doesn't get low enough, I figured to pass the wort through the ice block chiller after the counterflow.

I found it much easier to just use an ice bath for the cfc water. A cheap amazon pump picks up water from a cooler filled with ice water. If you fiddle with it and get the flows right it would probably cool enough in one pass. Lots of people here cool by gravity with just their groundwater, so 32 degree water should absolutely do it provided your cfc is long enough.

Back