Tap opening overnight, Ghosts drinking my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wetzie

Wetzelbrew
Reaction score
I have had several times my beer ran on my floor from being left open overnight. I typically blamed my aunt son for being careless and not pushing the tap back in place.
It has happened three times in a couple of months and now I am wondering if I have something wrong with my tap. I have what I think is a standard perlick faucet setup where pull forward for pour and push back for close.
There is a small amount of spring to it but it sets well in the off position. It just seems odd that it runs overnight after the last pour, not in-between pours.
Thank you

Do you have any pets that could be bumping into the taps overnight?

I'm about to the replace Perlicks I got with my kegerator. Between seals wearing out and leaking, and failing to maintain seal at lower pressures, I too am getting frustrated with leaks.

Thank you all for the reply, I think I have some company with this issue. I have all of these issues with my 2-3 year old kegerator. I may look into a tighter tension spring.
I'm about to the replace Perlicks I got with my kegerator. Between seals wearing out and leaking, and failing to maintain seal at lower pressures, I too am getting frustrated with leaks.
COYS!

Thank you all for the reply, I think I have some company with this issue. I have all of these issues with my 2-3 year old kegerator. I may look into a tighter tension spring.

COYS!
I'd double 👍👍the seals. I've got 6 Perlicks that have gotten rotated on three different taps for quite a few years. I love them, but when one would start springing nocturnal leaks like an old man I'd just buy a new one. I finally got tired of buying a new tap every couple of years. When the latest one self-opened a few month back, I got a new Nukatap. That thing is amazing and has been giving perfect pours every time.

The thing I liked about the Perlicks was the flow control. I was hesitant to go with non-FC faucets, but this Nukatap works great without it. Durability is something I'm not sure about with the new Nukatap design however, so I finally decided to rebuild all the Perlicks. The hard part was finding the parts. The rebuild was pretty straightforward. Right now I've got one rebuilt Perlick and one Nukatap on the kegerator. Both are working perfectly.

I'd suggest tearing down and rebuilding your taps. But if you're looking to replace them, consider Nukataps. They're reasonably priced and work well. Time will tell how they hold up.

Brooo Brother

Given the mention of tension springs these sound like rear sealing faucets.

I am still running a six pack of first-gen 525ss faucets bought in 2004 iirc. Replaced all the o-rings once with Perlick parts, still have around 94 rebuilds worth of o-rings. Only problem I ever had with them was inadvertent bumps mostly by family/friends, so I installed Intertap springs which solved that problem nicely...

Cheers!

Given the mention of tension springs these sound like rear sealing faucets.

I am still running a six pack of first-gen 525ss faucets bought in 2004 iirc. Replaced all the o-rings once with Perlick parts, still have around 94 rebuilds worth of o-rings. Only problem I ever had with them was inadvertent bumps mostly by family/friends, so I installed Intertap springs which solved that problem nicely...

Cheers!

All six of mine are forward sealing flow control Perlicks (also have 2 non-FC Perlicks, and an assortment of various other brands and types acquired over the ages). I'm not sure which o-ring seals stopped the leaks and spontaneous phantom nocturnal openings since everything got replaced in the breakdown and rebuild, though I suspect it probably centered on the forward seals. Internal return springs won't work in flow control faucets, even the Intertaps, so that was a no-go. Another likely culprit is fancy, long tap handles. I've got quite an assortment that get sequenced through the rotation, and the one that was on the tap that partially drained my keg was a really heavy and lengthy handle I'd gotten from Flying Dog when I bought a sixth barrel keg shortly after the lock-down began last March. Neat handle, but not worth losing 2~3 gallons of beer, let alone the cleanup afterwards.

I presumed they were forward sealing Perlicks as mine are. Perhaps I was wrong.

Yes, all the taps I'm currently using are forward sealing, except for a jockey box of sorts fashioned from an old Igloo cooler where I couldn't get a shank that would work with FC faucets. For that one I just attached a standard chromed brass rear seal cheapo faucet. A non-FC forward sealing one would probably work with that shank, but the cooler doesn't get used that much anymore, so I never tried to connect one.

Back