tap mt'd on Corny keg - any performance issues?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spunkmeyer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Does anyone have experience to share with those rigs where the tap is mounted directly on the corny keg liquid out, and uses the handheld CO2 dispenser with the small bulbs? I am thinking about moving up to kegging, and don't know if they would work well as a mobile dispensing solution, or if I'd be better off just doing a picnic tap instead.

Getting a setup like that to begin with, and than naturally priming my kegs, might be the first step I take that SWMBO will sign off on... with that in mind, I'd really appreciate your thoughts... thanks in advance.

the problem is most folks use that setup for temporay outings, and they release pressure, then apply just enough with the portable charger to push beer out slowly. If you prime your keg, then try to dispense, you might have foam issues unless you add some resistance, which some folks have done by inserting some epoxy mixer inserts into the diptube.
They work great as a mobile solution, but if the portable co2 charger will be your only means of co2 , once the keg starts to go low, your beer will start to go flat and trying to keep it carbed with co2 bulbs will get pricey.

Paintball CO2 tank adapter? +1 on the the epoxy mixer inserts- read good results with them.

The thing I don't like about the little co2 bulb injector systems is that there is no regulator, therefore, if your priming sugar doesn't carb the keg just perfectly, you are pretty much stuck w/ an over / under carbed keg. With a regulated system, your brew will sit and condition at the specified pressure from the first pint to the last, giving you good pours from the first to last draw.

Back in my bottling days, I always seemed to have issues w/ inconsistent carbonation and feel the tap -a - draft would be a disapointment...YMMV

If you have budget constraints, I would try and cobble a system together w/ inexpensive used parts. Tank, regulator, and picnic taps. Bargains are out there...you just gotta find em!

Back