Tap Handles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShortSnoutBrewing

Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
Reaction score
It's good to have woodworking friends sometimes...

handles002.jpg

handles003.jpg

Now I just have to stain them... :ban:

I need to see if he'll let me tool around with his lathe. I haven't touched one since middle school but would love to do some spinning. He said I couldn't stain these though. Something to do with a finishing oil he used on them. Kind of sad as these are the brightest thing in the room with a black keezer, dark stained shelf system to the left and brown walls. Oh well.

Kilted Brewer said:
I need to see if he'll let me tool around with his lathe. I haven't touched one since middle school but would love to do some spinning. He said I couldn't stain these though. Something to do with a finishing oil he used on them. Kind of sad as these are the brightest thing in the room with a black keezer, dark stained shelf system to the left and brown walls. Oh well.

He probably oiled them on the lathe, but you should be able to take a 0000 scotchbrite or wool pad and get the wax off, then stain them.

Don't do it until you talk to him for sure, but you that's my guess.

Hmm, I have a woodworking friend also. This gives me ideas. :) I'm sure he'd love some free beer in exchange for some simple handywork.

Just picked up two more from him. I totally forgot what kind of wood he said it was, but this is just the wood coming out. No stain or nothing. The weight on these guys is just amazing as well...

handles005.jpg

handles006.jpg

handles004.jpg

He said he's totally up for doing this for others if interested. Not sure what he's charging, but if anyone is interested just shoot me a PM.

Awesum! I've been wanting to get my lathe out for years. Other things keep getting in the way. I especially like the cocobolo. Nice grain and color. They just look silky!

Hey all, I've got a few of these handles left over, and some shorties that my buddy made. The shorties are shorter than 6". Anyone interested?

DSCN4181.jpg

Finally a use for the mini lathe I was given. I've owned the thing for 5 years and used it once. My father in law has some black colored wood from Africa that looks beautiful, I'll have to con him out of a piece.

Finally a use for the mini lathe I was given. I've owned the thing for 5 years and used it once. My father in law has some black colored wood from Africa that looks beautiful, I'll have to con him out of a piece.

That would be ebony. Practice like 4 or 5 times with another very hard wood, like purple heart or cocobolo. A stick of ebony large enough for a tap handle would run in the range of $100-150. Don't screw that one up :D If you get that one done, post some pics! That will be some serious beer pr0n!!!!

That would be ebony. Practice like 4 or 5 times with another very hard wood, like purple heart or cocobolo. A stick of ebony large enough for a tap handle would run in the range of $100-150. Don't screw that one up :D If you get that one done, post some pics! That will be some serious beer pr0n!!!!

Maybe maybe not ebony. Zebra wood is black and Wenge is also really dark.
Ebony is dark (almost black) but it is most def. not the only dark (almost black) wood from africa.

Ebony would weigh noticeably more than the others. If you really want to turn one, as previously mentioned practice like hell for a while. Make sure your tools are very sharp and you know how to sharpen them because ebony will dull them very quickly. If you have crappy tools don't even bother, you'll just waste a piece of ebony.

Thats expensive stuff, he got several big chunks for free from someone. I better not tell him what it's worth.

Back