tap handles

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Kronin

Reaction score
I am trying to find some nice handles for my perls.

they need to be 3 - 4 " tall max, as the freezer door will hit them otherwise. I do not want any 'brand' beer handles, just something unique and short.
Maybe a Canadian hockey team? or anything cool...

I am having no luck finding something to fit this bill....

anyone?

Suthrncomfrt1884

Reaction score
Check out Micromatic.com I use their european style tap handles for all of mine. They're simple, yet very nice.

Ragutis

Reaction score
I zip tied my freezer door to the fridge door so they both open together. I don't get in there enough to worry about the freezer being open. That way I can use taller tap handles.

Dynachrome

Reaction score
I work in a nest of homebrewers. One of the guys is having handles custom turned by one of his neighbors for a few bucks.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been thinking about what all could be use for tap handles.

Started thinking about shifter nobs.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This one seems to be a fav of mine. You just need to fab up a shaft with some copper tubing. Adding the slight forward bend required.

How awesome would it be to have this molded grip on a perlick?

Skins_Brew

Reaction score
I thought of the 50 cal handle the other day and will probably do it as soon as I get the insert. I have a 25mm shell too but it might be a little big

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have followed my wife around walmart, bored as hell, then had this idea looking for anything that could be used as a tap handle. Made the time go by fast. :D

Talk about one track mind....

• Shellacked Fruit; Bananas & Apples
  • Golf Grips
  • Golf Balls
  • Beer Bottles
  • Copper Tubing/Pipe
  • Galvanized Pipe
  • Broom handles
  • White Lab Vials Filled with Grain
I could go on and on....

MultumInParvo

Reaction score
I have followed my wife around walmart, bored as hell, then had this idea looking for anything that could be used as a tap handle. Made the time go by fast. :D

Talk about one track mind....

• Shellacked Fruit; Bananas & Apples
  • Golf Grips
  • Golf Balls
  • Beer Bottles
  • Copper Tubing/Pipe
  • Galvanized Pipe
  • Broom handles
  • White Lab Vials Filled with Grain
I could go on and on....
I like the idea of the vials filled with grain. If you really wanted to go all out you could fill the vials with the same grain and percentage as you did the recipe. For example, 85% MO 5% roasted barley, and 10% 120L crystal.

If I had an actual keggerator or Keezer I would definitely be doing this!

dasein668

Reaction score
I like the idea of the vials filled with grain. If you really wanted to go all out you could fill the vials with the same grain and percentage as you did the recipe. For example, 85% MO 5% roasted barley, and 10% 120L crystal.

If I had an actual keggerator or Keezer I would definitely be doing this!
I love this idea!

Ragutis

Reaction score
Awesome idea. I've been trying to think of a good idea for tap handles. The grain filled vials are perfect. Now I need to make some beers using white labs.
Notice my porter handle (third from the left) is a grain filled vial. In the proportions of a porter too I believe.

masonsjax

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Very cool man, me likey.

I just got a couple of vials of WL yeast, which I'll brew with this week. I ordered a few tap handle ferrules so I can thread on the vials. I'll post pics as soon as they're finished.

Suthrncomfrt1884

Reaction score
Aren't the WL vials a bit small for a tap handle? I've seen this general idea at a local micro pub in town. I forget what brewery does this...maybe rogue? It's a very cool tap handle. Looks like any other handle, but it's hollow and has grains in it.

Ragutis

Reaction score
Aren't the WL vials a bit small for a tap handle? I've seen this general idea at a local micro pub in town. I forget what brewery does this...maybe rogue? It's a very cool tap handle. Looks like any other handle, but it's hollow and has grains in it.
See post #17. That is a Rogue tap handle for porter. I got it on ebay for $10.

Skins_Brew

Reaction score
I think it would be cool to mount it from the bottom of the shell and get a bullet to mount on the shell. Not sure where you get a 50 cal bullet though.

bad coffee

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
the threads are 3/8"-16 on a tap. Anything with 3/8"-16 threads will work. You can either use bolts and a nut, an all-thread connector, or a screw-in insert. endless possiblities.

I have a microphone and a mickey mouse as my handles. Soon I'm adding a small book (epoxied shut,) a dragon statue I picked up at a thrift store, a turned-wood apple (for applewine,) and one more that I haven't decided on yet.

B

masonsjax

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Aren't the WL vials a bit small for a tap handle?
The vials themselves are 5.25" long. They'll be about 6" after putting the ferrules on. That's about 3" longer than the generic black plastic handles that came with my faucets that I'm currently using. I didn't want gigantic tap handles anyway, these will be perfect.