Tap Handle Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbg

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My wife bought me a couple of very nice Chicago Bears tap handles. Problem is when I open my keezer lid it hits the handles and even on one enough to start the flow of beer. So they have been off for a while but then I saw a fitting "angler" made just for this issue and ordered them. So excited when they came but no-good for me - although not as bad I still have the issue. I have Perlick taps and two are an older model and two newer. I have a digital angle gauge so did some checking. The angler that I purchased at Amazon only tilts the handle forward by 4.5 degrees. Then I found the threaded stud on two of my Prelicks are angled backwards by 7.3 degrees and the other two by 10 degrees.

Do other faucet brands possibly have less tilt back angle? - Thanks

I've not had any issues with my older Perlick faucets hitting the keezer lid when it opens. I do have the black plastic flange on the outside of the collar, as a spacer, though. If you don't have that on your shanks (they should have come with them) then get some and put them on the outside.

Back when I was using a fridge for my kegs, I had made some thicker plastic spacers due to other factors. Since the taps are close to the top of the collar, those were no longer needed. You can also get some shaft collars, if you need to get the taps further away from the collar, but I don't think that's the real issue here.

Pictures would really help.

I've not had any issues with my older Perlick faucets hitting the keezer lid when it opens. I do have the black plastic flange on the outside of the collar, as a spacer, though. If you don't have that on your shanks (they should have come with them) then get some and put them on the outside.

Back when I was using a fridge for my kegs, I had made some thicker plastic spacers due to other factors. Since the taps are close to the top of the collar, those were no longer needed. You can also get some shaft collars, if you need to get the taps further away from the collar, but I don't think that's the real issue here.

Pictures would really help.

Here is my issue:

IMG_2355.jpg
IMG_2354.jpg

Wow, I bet those aren't at all what we had imagined. ^
Pictures tell it all.

obviously i was underestimating! now i'm thinking, how often do you need into your keezer? maybe just turn them 1/4 turn to the side when opening?

or instead of lengthening the shank and using washers....why not an extension on the handle base that makes it even more intimidating?

looks like the door would clear it if it was like 3"s higher or so?

I have used the items you add to where the handles thread on that make them go straight up before. You have to make sure you lock them in when in the correct rotation point. Not just spin them all the way down. This was more when I was using the fridge (freezer top) and had LONG tap handles (SKS and Mosin bayonets).

This is what I've used in the past: www.morebeer.com/products/beer-faucet-bonnet-angler.html

Last edited:
Hey- a nice green Sox Southpaw would look cool!

On second look my one set of Perlick's (center two) will probably work with the 5 deg. angler adapter. All faucets do not seem equal - just from pictures it looks like Intertap faucet stud has almost no cant to the back whereas my Perlick's had 7-10 degrees.

Are any of your faucets the 'creamer' style? IIRC, the handles on those might rest more forward than the other style. I use the creamer types for CO2 pushed beers. Which is also why the angler item I linked to earlier was all I needed to get full actuation of the handles even with the old setup. I could even do the 'push back' on the handle to get the creamer action to engage without issue. But, that was with about 1" spacer behind the faucet (between the flange and fridge door skin).

Are any of your faucets the 'creamer' style? IIRC, the handles on those might rest more forward than the other style. I use the creamer types for CO2 pushed beers. I could even do the 'push back' on the handle to get the creamer action to engage without issue.

What is the attraction of a creamer style faucet?

I've seen them and had one that I put on a kegerator that I sold, because the fellow that bought it wanted it because it was black, like the kegerator. It didn't matter to me, it had either come on another or was in a box of parts that I had bought, and it was plastic, made by C.M.Becker. Pull forward and it pours normally, push it back and dispenses foam.

Bearly a problem, longer shanks and another layer of collar wood across the front or cut the back of the bears head off and put magnets in the two parts to hold it together when being used and pop the back of his or hers head off when opening the keezer.

What is the attraction of a creamer style faucet?[...]

I have no idea. Two possibilities: the notion of "creaming" the top of a pour is legit and the faucet manufacturer was offering an easier way than simply cracking the faucet at the end of a pour; or the marketing department had an idea....

I have a dalex black plastic stout faucet, they were popular in UK pubs at one time. It works well for the nitro stout and does have that back for pouring head on its own, but I do have it tucked on the other side of my keg fridge so the look isn't spoiled of the 5 nukataps.
I've never managed to find much info on it and it also seems to have a flow control built into it on the shank as an adjustable collar.
An oddity all told.

I was curious, did a bit of digging, and this is what comes up:

1621988528342.png

Interesting...no idea why this was shot up-side-down, but in any case it's vaguely similar to stout faucets of more metallic construction ;)

But...stout faucets usually sport a restrictor plate with a handful of tiny holes that then requires higher than "normal" pressure to drive the beer through and almost require beer gas to work as intended. A "creamer" faucet, otoh, just has a mode that creates foam for topping a pour.

Aaanyway...seems to me the OPs issue should be resolved using one of those angular-offset interposers under his tap handles...

Cheers!

Last edited:
could always save them for a super bowl, just in case it's a loss? could get pissed, throw open the keg lid to pull the keg as a 'dumper'...let it spill on the floor!

I just use the stock handles because my Keezer also doubles as my laundry folding table. I found out quickly that taller handles cause issues when they get caught on stuff. Ultimately, beer comes out. I don't care what it looks like. LOL

Back