Tap handle is stiff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtrum33

Reaction score
I have a dual tap kegerator and my first pull of the tap handle after not using it for a day or so is always stiff. I think the problem is that a little brew is getting inside of the hardware and making it sticky. I routinely run sanitizing solution through the system every few brews and run hot water through after each batch is finished. I really want to avoid taking the faucet apart and cleaning it that way because it was very difficult initialy to put together without it leaking. Any suggestions on how to fix my problem???

Yes, unfortunately sticky taps are unavoidable unless your pouring beer more frequently or go with forward seal taps. I have 3 Perlicks and 2 Ventmatics and couldn't imagine going back. They are a bit more pricey but were definitely worth it for me.

Yep - the forward seal taps will solve the problem. I want to replace the ones I have - the sticky tap thing is pretty annoying. I always tell those that are thinking about getting into kegging to spend the extra $10 and do it right the first time. I know I wish I would have.

I've got the Ventmatics, now Shirron, and I'll never have anything else but a forward seal faucet.

Look at it this way- some day you'll look back at the good old days when you could get a stiff handle any time you wanted. Enjoy your youth.

Mikey said:
Look at it this way- some day you'll look back at the good old days when you could get a stiff handle any time you wanted. Enjoy your youth.

Damn beat me to it. I was going to say sounds like a personal problem, ask SWMBO to take care of that condition.:D

mtrum33 said:
first pull of the tap handle after not using it for a day or so is always stiff.

Mine too, till I switched em out to Perlicks. Now they're just wood. :cross:

TapHandles.jpg

Back