Tap adapter for wide-mouth growler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

High_Noonan

Reaction score
Hey, guys.

I recently bought a two-tap jockey box for use with my corny kegs.
Having that much fire-power on hand at all times does not pass muster with the new wife.
I just bought two 2-liter wide-mouth growlers (the German kind with the ceramic stopper, but without the metal handle) and a tap adapter from my local homebrew shop. The wife is OK with having this much beer at the ready and even made room in the fridge for the bottles.
Well, today I went to try out the new tap and bottles, but I'll be buggered if I can figure out how to make it work!
Does anyone have any experience with using this setup?

Here is a picture:
growler_tap1.jpg

The link is here, but when I click to explore that item a bit more ("Humans click here"), the page craps out.
I am having a tough time coming up with anything else online, so I figured I'd asked the Hive Mind.

Now, the tap I bought was in an opened bag and was left over from the last owner of the homebrew shop. It doesn't look like I am missing any pieces, but I can't figure out what the back tab is hooking on to (see how the stopper is standing up in the picture?). And I can't go ask at the brewshop as they are on vacation until Sept 1!!!! AAAIIIEEE!!!

So, please, if anyone has any idea how to use these things, I'll raise the first glass of porter to you.

I've only seen those a couple of times, but they fit right on the growler (the stopper is up because that's the actual stopper for the growler). Put it right on the growler, so that it forms an airtight seal. Pump the black bulb to force air into the growler to dispense the beer.

Yeah, I tried that.
Here is a picture of my own from the top view.

tap.jpg

I understand what is happening on the right, but what is going on on the left?!?!! What holds down that curved, black tab?

Yeah, that is what I am thinking, too.
But it seems like the left side is going to split off when I try that.
Guess I'll go try it again...without my skirt on this time. ;-)

Whelp, that seems to have gotten it.
Not the greatest contraption ever, but it works.

I removed the gasket from the stopper and then hit up the tap adapter gasket with some Keg Lube.

I'd love to know more about this thing, like who made it and what that odd screw is for.

But, in the long run, I'd really like to find a CO2 injection system for growlers. Porter is fine flat, but there other types of beer in the world!

Sláinte, an YooperBrew!!!

Back