Tap a Draft

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mheitt

Reaction score
I used my new Tap-A-Draft system twice now. I love it, but it doesn't hold a charge. After the first time I was really careful to make a good seal when I screwed the tap on the bottle and when I screwed in the CO2 cartridges.

My beer is good and carbed when I start. I chill it overnight and then screw in a cartridge and serve. The first few beers are great; I can fill a glass in seconds. But after a few days it can take over a minute to fill up a pint, so I charge it up again with another cartridge and the same process continues.

Any words of advice?

I know you prolly already know this but, it sounds like a CO2 leak for sure if your beer is already carbed prior to tapping. I too used a TAD when I started, had a leak and contacted customer service. Didn't get much help, so I ordered a rebuild kit....problem solved. Sucks since you've only used it a few times, but the rebuild kit isn't too pricey and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than wasting homebrew. Did ur first fill hold carb good? Sorry, not a ton of help.

Here is a link to the rebuild kit:
http://http://www.midwestsupplies.com/tap-a-draft-repair-kit.html

Also, on this link there is a tab for useful downloads, you can click on it to view the pics and make sure all of your o-rings are still in place. Good luck!

I was thinking about doing that. Thanks.

I did call customer service and when I explained that I only use one CO2 cartridge at a time they suggested I use two and if I need a third to leave one of the empties seated/in place. He thought that some CO2 might be leaking through the dispenser out the empty CO2 spot. I assumed there'd be some sort of stop valve, but he said that even with a stop valve there's a good chance CO2 is leaking there.

Worth a try, I guess. Was that too obvious and I was just being stupid/stingy by starting with one CO2 cartridge?

Any other thoughts?

Nah, I wouldn't say it was stupid / stingy @ all...being that they don't exactly GIVE those lil CO2 cartridges away! I would definitely try the double CO2 cart's @ the same time though. Even though the beer seems nicely carbed prior to tapping, when the beer cools in the fridge it can/does absorb more CO2 (easier) than @ room temp. Meaning, as it cools it could be absorbing the single cartridge that you installed. Thus, the reason it might be pouring the first few glasses fine and then losing pressure after a few days (as it is actually absorbing the CO2 rather than leaking / losing it).

From what I recall, when I used mine, I usually went through 2 cart's for a full bottle if the bottle was naturally conditioned (aged with priming sugar). The serving flow rate did slow toward the end of the bottle however. But, the 2 carts lasted me generally around 2 1/2 to 3 weeks for serving a full bottle. My father~N~law got a TAD as well (we split batches) and his tended to require a 3rd cartridge toward the end of his bottle (they are pretty much all a lil different).

I did try force carbing a few batches with the TAD, and like the instructions indicate, you will BURN through a few cart's (usually a set) to get the beer carbed and a set (possibly 3) to serve a full bottle of non naturally conditioned beer. Note: I wouldn't try this until you confirmed that you DO NOT have a leak.

Hope this info helps & let me know if you have any other questions. Personally, I really liked my TAD....I just lucked out on a cragislist score and bought a 4 tap kegerator. I still use mine to send batches home with friends that buy their own kits and use my brewing setup!

Back