Tap-a-Draft System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schmaltzy

Reaction score
I got a tap a draft system for Christmas

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/TAP_A_DRAFT_STARTER_SYSTEM_no_P729C120.cfm?UserID=3790545&jsessionid=d830e7d89be96c447742

Is there anyone out there that can give me some update advice and their thoughts on this system? I did a search and most of the stuff I found was all 2008 or earlier.

My main issues are priming. I know I could get almost all my beer into the 3 mini kegs....BUT....I only want to fill 2 of them and bottle the rest. With that being said, can I just prime the bottles and the mini-kegs that same? I have read that some people say to just prime the kegs normally, like bottles. But others have said you don't need to use as much sugar....but if so, then how do I get a good balance since I'm splitting it up between the mini-kegs and bottles?

Well, I can tell you what I do. I prime each TAD bottle with 3 TBSP of normal cane sugar. You can melt it in a little boiling water to sanitize it. However, I've often just scooped it right into the top of the bottle.

If you're bottling from a bottling bucket then I would probably just go ahead and prime the batch as you would for bottling. The TAD bottles can easily handle normal bottling pressure. The only area they sometimes have issues are the lids. I use the optional metal lids that have the foam seal around the edge and they help quite a bit. A couple wraps of teflon pipe tape around the threads doesn't hurt either.

Well, I can tell you what I do. I prime each TAD bottle with 3 TBSP of normal cane sugar. You can melt it in a little boiling water to sanitize it. However, I've often just scooped it right into the top of the bottle.

If you're bottling from a bottling bucket then I would probably just go ahead and prime the batch as you would for bottling. The TAD bottles can easily handle normal bottling pressure. The only area they sometimes have issues are the lids. I use the optional metal lids that have the foam seal around the edge and they help quite a bit. A couple wraps of teflon pipe tape around the threads doesn't hurt either.

That's what I heard about the lids. Last night I stopped by a local store that carries VERY LITTLE brewing supplies and I was surprised to find some of the heavy duty caps! They don't carry any TAD stuff so I'm guessing it's just a generic cap for things, I wasn't sure if it would work or not. But it is a thinker black plastic cap and on the inside is a clear plastic truncated conical piece (that is probably the worst description but the best I could think of). I bought 3 for 69 cents a piece, took them home and they fit perfect.

That's what I heard about the lids. Last night I stopped by a local store that carries VERY LITTLE brewing supplies and I was surprised to find some of the heavy duty caps! They don't carry any TAD stuff so I'm guessing it's just a generic cap for things, I wasn't sure if it would work or not. But it is a thinker black plastic cap and on the inside is a clear plastic truncated conical piece (that is probably the worst description but the best I could think of). I bought 3 for 69 cents a piece, took them home and they fit perfect.

Hmm, not sure what type of cap that is. They do make a pressure relief cap, but they're really hard to find. I purchased the white metal caps with the little foam ring on them, but found out the growler caps from my local brewpub are basically the same thing, but black. As long as I get them snug and use a little teflon tape, I've never had a problem with them. I found the cheap black plastic caps that come with TAD to be almost worthless.

Finding info on the TAD can be difficult. The manufacturer doesn't seem to make a lot of stuff about the unit very clear, like the different types of caps, or the need for leg extensions when they moved to the brown bottles.

Hmm, not sure what type of cap that is. They do make a pressure relief cap, but they're really hard to find. I purchased the white metal caps with the little foam ring on them, but found out the growler caps from my local brewpub are basically the same thing, but black. As long as I get them snug and use a little teflon tape, I've never had a problem with them. I found the cheap black plastic caps that come with TAD to be almost worthless.

Finding info on the TAD can be difficult. The manufacturer doesn't seem to make a lot of stuff about the unit very clear, like the different types of caps, or the need for leg extensions when they moved to the brown bottles.

I hear ya on the information part....or the lack there of!

Have you tried using them with the nitrogen? I picked up some nitrogen cartridges cause I read that they give better head (see what I did there ;) ). Any tips?

I hear ya on the information part....or the lack there of!

Have you tried using them with the nitrogen? I picked up some nitrogen cartridges cause I read that they give better head (see what I did there ;) ). Any tips?

I do have some of the nitrogen carts. I didn't find them to make a huge difference. The beer came out a little less carbonated and with a slightly heavier head, but wasn't the same as a pour out of a stout faucet. I'll probably still use them on certain beer styles, but the effect didn't blow me away.

Are these the caps you are referring to?
I also purchased these caps from Williams. I'm brewing tomorrow, so I'm curious how they will hold pressure when its time to bottle my TAD system. I use these caps in my water lab. They don't leak water, but I've never put them under pressure.

38mm-black-screw-caps.jpg

I have a TAD as well and I bottle at least a six-pack for competitions. I just prime the way I always have in my bottling bucket based on the volumes I'm shooting for. Another option for you would be force carbing it with the TAD (plan on using AT LEAST 2 canisters to carb and another 2 to dispense for each bottle) and just using carb drops in your bottles. I ordered 100 of the brand of chargers that came with my TAD for less than $40 on Amazon so I'd have the option of force carbing when I wanted to.

One additional piece of advice that I've learned from use. It's tempting to overtighten the tap on the bottle. DON'T DO IT. You'll actually get a worse seal and then nearly break your hand trying to get the damn thing off when you're done with the bottle... nightmare.

Oh, it's also rumored that (if you can find them), the TAD will accept 3 liter soda bottles... just throwing that out there. Not useful information for me, but it may be for others.

I leave about an inch and a half but I've actually filled some to less than half full and they still carbed fine. Of course, I let them carb for another couple of weeks.

Are these the caps you are referring to?
I also purchased these caps from Williams. I'm brewing tomorrow, so I'm curious how they will hold pressure when its time to bottle my TAD system. I use these caps in my water lab. They don't leak water, but I've never put them under pressure.

38mm-black-screw-caps.jpg

Exactly! Those are the caps I picked up. Would you let me know how they work for you? I won't be filling my TAD bottles for a couple weeks.

Back