Tannins from mashout??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illin8

Reaction score
I just tried an Oktoberfast and Centennial Blonde that I made. They are both decent but have a slight and similar bitterness. Sort of hoppy but not, and given the two different styles, hop types and amounts, something seems off to me. I read that it could be from extracting tannins...

I do a mashout on my E-HERMs, typically 170-172° following Beersmith, single infusion with a batch sparge. Should I just adjust temp down or forgoe the mashout??

They are definitely drinkable but will the bitterness lessen with age? Brewed 5-6 weeks ago, bottled 2 weeks ago.... Thanks

Did you do anything to assure the sparge pH was in the 5.2-5.6 ballpark?
170°F is fine, I raise my mash and fly sparge at that temperature and don't have tannin issues, but I also acidify the sparge liquor to 5.4...

Cheers!

Tannins aren't usually associated with bitterness. Tannins cause astringency, which can be described as a puckering mouth feel. Does this better describe your off flavor? If not, then it is probably something other than tannins.

Brew on :mug:

You're doing a batch sparge. You don't need a mash out so quit using one. Use cool water for the sparge to ensure that the hot water isn't causing the problem, then if it persists come back and give us lots of information including recipe, mash schedule, etc.

Back