Tannin in fruit wines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougBrown

Reaction score
I've done quite a bit of research on adding tannin to fruit wines and I'd like to try it but I haven't been able to get any guidelines on how much to use. Feedback?

The tannin I got has this on the label:

LD Carlson Company Wine Tannin
Balances Low Tannin Wines & Aids Clarification

Directions: Add according to specific wine recipe. Recommended use as follows: add 1/4 teaspoon per 1 US Gallon for white/rose wine must; 1/3 teaspoon per 1 US Gallon for red wine must; 1/2 teaspoon per 1 US Gallon for fruit wine must. Contains: Chestnut Extract (Castanea sativa).

I've heard you can also get a similar (but less exact) effect by adding black tea to your must. I use the powdered tannin because unless you boil it first, tea is rife with bacteria.

Most folk who add black tea to their wines in order to add tannin generally make the tea in boiling water and add the tea so any bacteria that were rife are now quite expired. But to Doug Brown's question, as with most things you need to suck it and see. In other words, you need to bench test by taking a few equal volume samples of your wine and add different amounts of whatever additive you are adding be it tannin, acids, sugars, spices, etc etc.. and you taste. And you repeat this until you find the sweet spot. Since you know the sample size (and you know the total volume) you simply multiply the amount of the additive that hits the sweet spot by the total volume divided by the sample size.

Thanks all. My concern is that adding any tannin to delicate fruit wines (apricot, peach, etc.) although it will provide some benefit, it will be offset by introducing astringency to the wine. The testing is logical but it seems safer just to leave it out.

Not all tannins are the same.
I use Scott Labs FT Blanc soft per their suggestions in fruit wines and it adds a bit of sweetness and body.

I don't add any tannin to many white fruit wines, but I do add it to some wines that can benefit from it (including some apple wines). The way to know is to add a wee bit to a sample, and see if it improves the wine. some wines benefit from tannin or oak, many don't.

Back