tannin haze?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thelastdandy

Reaction score
question...i have tried gelatin and cold crashing. i get a rigourous boil and use a wort chiller to cool the wort. i am still getting a haze in my beer. don't get me wrong, they taste great. i just want to spruce up the looks a little bit. the only thing that i can think of is my sparging techniqe. i don't mash out, so i use water well over 170 to start sparging until the grain bed temp. reaches 170. could i be leaching out tannins that are clouding my beer by doing this? i didn't think it would matter as long as the grain bed itself didn't get to hot. any feedback is greatly appreciated.

do you use irish moss or whirlfloc in the boil?

Also, do your beers remain cloudy forever, or do they eventually clear up?

Every beer I have ever made has been cloudy when first chilled to serving temps. but, after a couple weeks at that temp, they clear right up.

Every beer I have ever made has been cloudy when first chilled to serving temps. but, after a couple weeks at that temp, they clear right up.

+1 on this. I find my beer clears when held at serving temp for 2 weeks.

Also, when sparging, I would suggest you not get your grain bed to 170. Anything above 170 breaks down the husk and extracts nasty tannins. Thus, I target 167 or so allow for error.

oops. forgot to mention that i add whirfloc. i guess they sort of clear up as they get warmer, but to tell you the truth they usually don't last that long in the glass. i have had some bottles refrigerated for about 3 weeks now though. like you, i always thought chill haze protiens would eventually settle to the bottom if you chilled them long enough, but this definitely hasn't happened yet.

Back