Tangerine Essence?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ondori

Reaction score
So, I had a beer, Lost Coast Tangerine Wheat, that was pretty damn delicious. I usually don't go for beers with fruit, but this was pretty tasty, and all the ladies liked it, so figured I would give it a go and appeal to them a bit too.

My question is, I have seen that people called them to ask whether or not they used peels/fruit, and Lost Coast says they use essence. I have done some searches and come up with essential oils. I am not too sure if these are edible, or would provide the flavor I am looking for. Any one else have experience with essences?

They use extracts.. at least that's what I got from an insider. I did some searches and found a couple of suppliers that sell their extract for brewing. I'll have to see if I can find them. I know at least one of them has been discussed on the board here.

I'll edit this with a link once I find it.

I'll be pouring for LC next month at a charity event.. this will be my third time with them. The tangerine is ALWAYS a big hit.. even with guys who I'd never guess would try it. :D

EDIT: HERE is the one I've had the most dialog with.... Good luck with your venture

They use extracts.. at least that's what I got from an insider. I did some searches and found a couple of suppliers that sell their extract for brewing. I'll have to see if I can find them. I know at least one of them has been discussed on the board here.

I'll edit this with a link once I find it.

I'll be pouring for LC next month at a charity event.. this will be my third time with them. The tangerine is ALWAYS a big hit.. even with guys who I'd never guess would try it. :D

EDIT: HERE is the one I've had the most dialog with.... Good luck with your venture

You are the man! Thanks a lot. A lot cheaper than I thought it would be. Now, time to experiment with how much to use. lol

If you go to the top ad do a search, there is a decent thread where a guy did multiple attempts and finally gave up. I'd like to find the secret.. it's proprietary, so I couldn't find out much with my conversations.. I doubt the rep knew anything about the process. I just wrote a letter to someone who might be able to help.. we'll see what I can find... I'm sure it won't be soon.

Hopefully, your experiments will get great results. I think the soundest process I've seen thus far is to add the extract during bottling.. If I did it, I'm probably add during kegging.. and then try transferring to bottles. Some of the things I've seen in the other thread mentioned had to do with the possibility of the extract stopping fermentation.. so the bottle carb didn't last or come up to the expected carb level.

I'd be interested in knowing your success.

Back