Tangerine ale help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello fellow home brewers!

I have been putting together ideas for a tangerine ale recipe for a while now. I’d like to make something similar to lost coast tangerine wheat but in a blonde ale style.

I made an impulse buy at the home brew supply store today and I wanted some input on the brew day approach with the ingredients I purchased (amounts/hop additions/times etc). Any advice is welcome.

I’m planning on a 5.5 gallon final volume with these ingredients. I’m looking to brew something not overly hoppy. I don’t necessarily have to use all the hops I purchased.

Here’s what I have on hand:

13 lbs of crushed rahr 2 row malt
1 lb of crushed briess caramel 6o malt
1 oz citra pellets
1 oz mandarina bavaria pellets
US 05

I also have a bottle of amoretti tangerine puree, as well as 4 tangerines.

Thoughts??

18F7E9B6-F758-47E0-82BF-7C861F12A739.jpeg
I love lost coast tangerine. Just picked some up last week. I’ve tried cloning this 2x so far.

The first batch I put 1oz tangerine peel and 1 cup of tangerine juice in the primary after chilling. It was okay but the tangerine didn’t come through as much as lost coast.

My second go around I added 1oz tangerine peel in the primary and 4oz of this tangerine extract in the bottling bucket. According to my notes the tangerine flavor was a little strong and I planned on cutting it back to 2oz the next time.

I used US-05 and cascade hops. 1oz at 60min and 1oz at 2min. Maybe I’ll have to Brew this again. The third time is a charm so they say.

I’m interested to see how the amoretti works out.. my local brewery uses the amoretti blood orange purée for their ipa and they can’t keep enough of it on tap.. my hope is to create something similar that’s light, crisp, and has a nice tangerine twang to it. What do you think about the hops I have? Should I go buy some cascade for bittering even though I don’t really want strong ibus? How would you utilize the hops I have on hand?

Back