Talk to me about DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 30639

Reaction score
I searched but couldn't really find what I was looking for.

I'm going to place an order tomorrow since Austin Homebrew is having a 10% off sale. For my first 5 beers, I've used LME for all my beers. I had a few questions.

1: Is there any real advantage of using DME over LME, and vice versa?

2: What's the conversion ratio for LME to DME. For example, if I was using 6 lbs of LME, how much DME do I need?

3: How and when do you add the DME to the boil?

Thanks in advance :mug:

Texasspartan,
I prefer DME over liquid.
1. The main advantage for me is ease of use. Empty the bag of DME into a bowl first before pouring into the boil as the moisture from the boil pot gums up the bag.
2. You will get a better yield from DME, figure 1.044 per gallon
3. I do a full boil and will add the entire amount of DME from the beginning and figure my hop utilization based on that gravity.
Just the way I do it.
mark
Beer Diary...
Brew School Home Pg1

DME advantages:
Easier to store opened containers - Keep it in a ziplock bag
More stable in storage - It keeps for years - LME gets darker as it gets older, which can result in an unnaturally dark beer.

LME advantages:
Some say it makes better tasting brews

To convert LME recipes to DME, multiply the LME weights by 0.8, so 6 lb LME is equivalent to 4.8 lb DME

Warning.
In England, DME is LME. (It is diastatic malt extract - a syrup). If in England, and you want dry malt extract, look for spray dried malt extract.

-a.

I prefer DME. It's easier to handle, you can get it all out of the container with no utensils, and there's not as much worry that it's been sitting around on a shelf for a long time.

Does anyone use DME for late extract editions in a partial boil ? Palmer recommends LME for late additions due to the difficulty in dissolving DME in boiling wort. I have been following Palmer's method but would use all DME if I could.

Another advantage of DME is that it is about 15% cheaper than LME (at least in this part of the world it is)

I prefer LME because it's easier to incorporate in the wort, IMO. Pull the pot off the hot burner, stir it in and back on the burner. No clumps floating around that you have to try to break up or whisk out. Some folks report a different taste from LME, but I haven't experienced. That could be because I don't use canned LME though.

Just placed my order and went with LME. Maybe next time. I do appreciate all the info though.

It's no problem either way, really. Give the LME containers a bath in hot water for a few minutes before you dump them into your brew kettle. Makes it flow much easier.

I really haven't had any issues with DME clumping. I always take it off the heat and add it slowly. It dissolves with no problems.

I have done late additions with a full and partial boil.

It's no problem either way, really. Give the LME containers a bath in hot water for a few minutes before you dump them into your brew kettle. Makes it flow much easier.

+1 on this. I fill the sink with hot water and throw the LME tub in when I start boil.

Re-reading this I found I skipped over something.

You stated that Papa Z said to use the LME as the Late Addition...this would be because MOST LME is PRE-hopped and already cooked once. Further boiling is not necessary. A couple mins to pasteurize is all that's needed and "minutes" is probably too long a time span here. ;)

+1 on this. I fill the sink with hot water and throw the LME tub in when I start boil.

I do the same thing as well. It really does make getting all the LME out much easier.

Just my 2 cents, but I prefer DME. It is easier to work with, the only disadvantage is the clumps, however, they can be easily dealt with if you have a whisk, otherwise I find it to be the better choice. In additon you get 42-43 ppg opposed to LME's 35-36, meaning it takes less DME to get the same result as LME. Storage isn't even an issue.

Back