Talk about Friday the 13th Bad luck. Work Cuts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrregularPulse

Hobby Collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well it's friday the 13th and as luck would have it we are going through another round of layoffs. They are going around 1 by 1 and letting people go. So far we're up to 10 people and my boss if on his way to the MI office to let go someone from out department. For all I know I could be next. I've survived 2 layoffs so far but this is the first time I've truly been scared about it. They're only offering 2 weeks severance. The first round a few months ago got 2 months! I'm just praying for 5 o'clock and hoping I still ave a job by then.
Just wanted to get this out there. I know several others on this board have lost jobs already and some much worse. I've never been layed off from a job before and with the economy I am frankly scared to death about what we will do about Mortgage, Bills, and my son just starting to eat foods not supplied by mom!

I appreciate it. I was planning on ordering 2 10 gallon batches worth of ingredients today, I think I'll hold out on that. As insane as it sounds. I'm going to have to put Electricity first. IF I didn't have the little one it wouldn't be so, but you know, little people like warmth:) I can at least get mine from some high ABV nectar.

Sounds like a night of heavy drinking ahead of you.... no matter the outcome.
I have a bottle of Delirium Tremens in the fridge waiting. Might have to open it up tonight. Hopefully it's a celebratory drink.

Good luck indeed. The axe may drop here in about a month's time. Acquisition goes to a vote on the 20th. Keep that resume current and ready to send out at a moment's notice.

Employee meeting at 1:30. I'm guessing if you're still here by then you're safe. Who knows.

That's what I thought, then they let all of us in the meeting go, 68 people, my entire department. At least I got 3 months severance.

Hopefully your meeting goes better than mine did. :mug:

Employee meeting at 1:30. I'm guessing if you're still here by then you're safe. Who knows.

It's a sickening feeling but in this case I think you're right. If they are pulling them out already and you are going to a meeting later the odds are in your favor. Best of luck.

Good luck man.

I lost mine recently but I'm back on the horse.

****'s carazay

Well the meeting went as usual after layoff. Our new GD Chinese CEO expressing his "deepest concerns" to those of us lowlifes making less than 200Gs a year in Ohio while they take our company to California and China to ruin it. Luckily the Chinamen can't build anything for crap so production is coming back here.
Outcomewas an 18% local, 35% global layoff today. I was lucky enough to hang in for the 3rd layoff in the past 6 months.
Unfortunately for the rest of us 401K has been frozen and a 15% paycut across the board. But I still have a job so i can't complain too much eh!
Looks the the Delrium will be a bittersweet drink. Now I get to tell the wife we're poorer than she already thinks.

JoeC-Thanks for the laugh (avatar) "I'm Dr. Steve Bruel! What' the heck you gonna do if your out on a picnic with a icecream and the darn ants get all over your ice cream! You're gonna eat the ants cause that's protein! For your Health!"
Good ****

:) Congrats on not getting canned.

Here's my personal favorite:
[ame=http://www.adultswim.com/video/?episodeID=8a25c39217ab41660117ad6d54aa0143][adult swim] : Adult Swim Video[/ame]

:) Congrats on not getting canned.

Here's my personal favorite:
[adult swim] : Adult Swim Video
That was hilarious!

Well, congrats and condolences, IP. That's a scary ****in feeling...jeeeesus.

Glad you made it through again.

Thanks to everyone. That's the best thing about this forum. Sure the beer advice is great but mostly everyone, although complete strangers for the most part, are great people and good friends. I know BernieBits (some may know him as Brownie) also went through something similar but is able to keep his job until May at least.
the bad thing is. I was going to order ingredients for two 10 Gallon batches today. Not going to happen now.

...the bad thing is. I was going to order ingredients for two 10 Gallon batches today. Not going to happen now.

Noooo.jpg

IP glad you made it!
I'm on the other side sort of, I own a company and had to layoff most of my employees (lack of work) and it sucks bad....it breaks my heart the number of people that come into my office everyday looking for work and we just don't have anything for them.

Nice,

layoffs are coming and your surfing HBT at work. Keep the mouse pointer on that little X in the top right corner

Glad you still have a job, IP. The good thing about the dollar imbalance is that quite a few manufacturing jobs are coming back over here. I work for a Japanese company and they are looking for more domestic shops to do business with b/c it is cheaper here than back on the Island. And you're right, there are a lot of things that China and Mexico just can't do.

Two weeks severance! Ouch! I got eight weeks when I was laid off from a company back in 2003! I was lucky. It was June, I had done well up to that point and saved a lot of money to boot. I took the summer off, got in great shape b/c I had nothing but time, got real tan and brewed a lot of beer! Ahhh... those were the days!

Back