taking the gas off the brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jabumbo

Reaction score
if i have a full 5 gallon corny keg pressurized with cider in it, will i be able to take it off the gas tank and still pump out the goods for a few days?

i want to take the cider on a camping trip with me next month and i don't want to lug the gas tank with me if i don't have to.

would it be better if i just took the tank and let my other brew sit free in the fridge for the time while i'm gone?

The only push you'll get is from the gas in the head space. You figure at 14.7 psi the gas would be double the volume...so you could pour the volume of the headspace. If you want to do it. In otherwords... with half a keg of beer, 14.7 psi head pressure...you're ON! (you'll actually get just a bit more gas as co2 comes out of solution) If you try going another ATM (atmosphere) worth of pressure so you can keep more beer in there --- it's going to be too difficult to pour the beer. You'll get beer foam. ( I see you're talking cider. I don't know how fizzy you can get cider and not have foaming issues. I know it's not as bad as beer when it comes to foaming. You might be able to get away with keeping 2/3 of the keg of cider with 29.4 psi head pressure to dispense it all.)

How about transfering it into individual 1 L plastic soda bottles...that way you don't have to worry about the keg?

If you're other keg doesn't have a leak...it won't mind letting the co2 tank go camping... The co2 tank deserves a nice camping trip.

If you have another spare cornie why not gas that up to say 80PSI and use that to pump the beer out of the cornie with beer in. :) It's certainly a lot lighter than a C02 bottle! Sorry, just thinking laterally. :)

just bring it, and pour. once it stops pouring, shake the **** out of it sothe co2 comes out of solution and it pours again. it's what I do sometimes if I am out of co2 and don't wanna drive to get it filled. it won't be perfect but itll flow

If you have another spare cornie why not gas that up to say 80PSI and use that to pump the beer out of the cornie with beer in. :) It's certainly a lot lighter than a C02 bottle! Sorry, just thinking laterally. :)

Now that I would like to see...

I figured from Leeds...you'd recommend ---

http://www.kegworks.com/product.php?productid=173925&source=base
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=6124

Just put the midwest supplies product on your gas poppet, and hook up that beautiful kegworks product to your liquid side.

Sure wish these things were a bit more economical to purchase.

if i have a full 5 gallon corny keg pressurized with cider in it, will i be able to take it off the gas tank and still pump out the goods for a few days?

i want to take the cider on a camping trip with me next month and i don't want to lug the gas tank with me if i don't have to.

would it be better if i just took the tank and let my other brew sit free in the fridge for the time while i'm gone?

Seriously, for $20 total you can have a handheld co2 injector that will push that keg on 1 or 2 16 gram co2 cartridges. It'll fit in your pocket and do a great job. Just make sure you get the cornie disconnect to attach it to.

Someone already gave the Williams Brewing link but every hbs I've been to carries it.

Just to answer a question you asked that hasn't been answered. If you decided to just take your tank the beer at home will be fine for the time it is off the tank. It should hold the same pressure it already has as long as there is no leak.

maybe he's going camping BECAUSE it's cheaper :D

for the record: i am going camping because the group is too rowdy to be contained inside a hotel!

i'll probably just take my tank with me, and just pick up an extra spout since i will need it eventually anyway.

Back