Taking the AG plunge and have a few ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GIusedtoBe

Reaction score
I'll be using the cooler conversion MLT and will have to buy a new pot so:

Will a turkey fryer burner and pot do the trick or should I buy a bigger SS pot than I've been using for extract? Keggles are aluminum right?

Is there anything in particular to look for when buying a burner or are they all pretty much the same?

What size pot is minimum for 5 gallon batches and what size for 10?

Any other pertinent tips would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,
Al

Will a turkey fryer burner and pot do the trick YES or should I buy a bigger SS pot than I've been using for extract? You need a much bigger pot for AG because you need to boil down the wort to increase the gravity Keggles are aluminum right?NO

Is there anything in particular to look for when buying a burner or are they all pretty much the same? Read some of the thread on here but if it's high enough BTU and stable then it should do.

What size pot is minimum for 5 gallon batches and what size for 10?
I use a 10 gallon keg for a 5 gallon brew. That leaves me a 1/4 volume space

Any other pertinent tips would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,
Al[/quote]

For 5g batches, the absolute minimum size pot is 7.5g, but 10g is soooooo... much better. Never done 10g, so I can't help there.
Aluminum pots are fine.
Keggles are SS.
When shopping for a burner, look for sturdy construction.

Good luck.

-a.

I bought a 155k BTU Bayou (sp?) and it has worked great! I got it from Home Depot for $45USD I believe. I got a 10g AL stock pot from a restaurant supply store and have had one boil over...some drinking and distractions also proved to be a factor. I have yet to do 10gal batches though.

Good luck!

For a 10 gallon batch, my 15.5 gallon keggle is barely big enough for a typical brew. For a 5 gallon batch, I'd suggest getting a 10 gallon pot.

A keggle = a normal Half-barrel sanke keg (15.5 gallons) that has been converted to a kettle. These are made of stainless steel. Stainless Steel is the preferred metal for all things homebrew but Alumnimum is sufficient for kettles as well-- just make sure you boil some hot water in it beforehand to get rid of the metal taste it can impart on your brew.

Turkey Fryer burners are very popular. Be sure to get the square burners for keggles or the base won't be large enough to support the keggle.

As for general tips: I buy everything so that I don't have to upgrade it again...boil kettles are a great example. Eventually you'll want to do a 10 gallon batches (after my 4th all grain batch, I haven't gone back to 5 gallon batches) or high gravity 5 gallon batches where you'll have to evaporate off (like orfy was saying above). So I'd suggest buying a 15 gallon pot or converting a keg to accommodate this soon-to-be upgrade. In other words, try to forsee your future and buy with that in mind-- it can save you a lot of money in the long run.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me!

Back