taking FG readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
68F is the ideal temp for a reading, although anything in that vicinity is really close enough to work. As temperature escalates, the gravity difference doesn't scale linearly, so higher temp differentials will result in higher discrepancies.

thanks, is it possible for an FG reading to be lower than a sample of water? maybe i need to add more beer to my sampler tube? or wait for it to get to correct temp.

anywhere in the window of 65-71 from what I understand, though there are simple ways online to calibrate your temperature and FG reading for great accuracy.

thanks, is it possible for an FG reading to be lower than a sample of water? maybe i need to add more beer to my sampler tube? or wait for it to get to correct temp.

It is possible, sure. Alcohol is less viscous than water, so the more alcohol you have present, the lower the gravity will go. Batches of apfelwein, for example, can easily hit .995ish on a regular basis. For most beers, however, it isn't entirely likely unless you're doing a saison or a sour of some sort. Not impossible, mind you, but infrequent, especially without planning for it to do so.

Ok, my FG readings are in....1.004, is this ok? im sure there is some kind of calculator on here. as for the taste...it leaves a bitter after taste but it tastes like beer minus the carbonation of course. I used 4 oz. oh hops for 5 gallons, gonna bottle it.:rockin:

i was wondering what the alcohol content may be and found anywhere from 3.3 to 9.3, i never took a OG reading so i dont know? Am i way off?

Hydrometers are typically calculated at 60F. anything above or below that temp requires a correction and should be included in the paperwork that came with your hydrometer. If you don't have the paperwork you can do the correction within your own brewing software and/or online. Here is a calculator from Brewheads.com

The kit states the FG should be 1.006. Mine was at 1.004. It's bottled so I can't go back now. I added 5+ ounces of light dry malt to my 5 gallon batch before I bottled it.

image-3851922824.jpg

Back